15 min left on the 11 and 14 hr clock

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by cadillacdude1975, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    So by your own admission you intended to violate the HOS and continue on to the house rather than abide by the regs.

Well lets consider what if;

What if you were involved in an accident somewhere beyond the limits of your hours? Then what? Didn't say it HAD to be your fault just that you were "involved."

Chances are you would be sued. Lose your job. Go to jail. And possibly live with the knowledge that because of your actions someone lost their life.

Drivers take heed. The days of out law trucking are OVER. YOU will be held accountable and you will be prosecuted for violating the regs if caught. The carriers that employ you will be held accountable as well.

For the companies that are running loose leaf logs you are on notice. The regs are tightening and EOBR's will be mandated soon enough. The drivers that "think" the rules don't apply to them will think otherwise when they are collecting their mail at the state prison.

Get your head right and understand the regs are there for your protection as well as the general public. Either learn to abide by those regs or get out of the industry.

pattyj, scottied67 and NEWEST NEWBY Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    This industry is turning into a joke all the PC COPS out there "what would you do then,huh!" Sissy

Raiderfanatic and 112racing Thank this.
  4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Thankfully my forefathers didn't spend much time on "what if's".

We all make our own beds. Then somebody tries to crawl in it. To protect us from ourselves.

What if our grandparents had spent their days pondering the idea of going to war with Germany?

What if MLK had stayed home?

What if the earth really is flat?

What if I had 3 wives?

Ohhhhh!! The enormity of considerations to ponder. All the while remaining in one spot. Doing nothing for fear of "what if".

A man should be so lucky that he never had to cross a line in his life.

windsmith and Raiderfanatic Thank this.
  5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It would be good if the 11/14 is suspended while waiting in line at the scale house and while going through an inspection. If the weight / inspection comes up clean, then the clock resumes when you leave and you lose no time. If there are violations, then that time again counts against your clocks.

6. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    It's not? :biggrin_25523:

7. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Dreamer! :biggrin_2559:

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    With the current rules, Columbus would be out of service still.

9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    with the current rules I actually can eat dinner, grab a shower and get a good nights rest.

The companies also can't run you 24 hrs a day with short runs and naps, the 14 runs out and you can get some real sleep. I can hear everybody now, I don't need much sleep,ect. well, yeah ,you really do. ask your doctor. or an old fart who's been there. it will catch up sooner or later.

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    "The days of Outlaw Trucking are OVER!" (Emphasis mine)

When log books came out, the days of Outlaw Trucking were over.

When the HOS were started in '38, the days of Outlaw Trucking were over.

When the HOS changed in '39, the days of Outlaw Trucking were over.

When they changed again in '62, the days of Outlaw Trucking were over.

No, the days of Outlaw Trucking were officially over in 2003.

Wait, they were over when many companies started using E-Logs.

Let's face it, Outlaw Trucking will never die. For every rule, and every new piece of technology or regulation pushed onto the drivers, there will be a group of independent individuals who do not need, or desire, for somebody else to regulate how a job is done. And as long as these independents are around, Outlaw Trucking will always be there. And we will be grateful for it.

I'm not saying that all outlaws are safe, or unsafe. Some of us could run like the demons of hell were chasing us, and others preferred to stay steady. Some were safe, others outright dangerous. But there's little to no difference in my mind between an unsafe outlaw, and an unsafe "by-the-book" driver. Unsafe is unsafe, regardless of what your logbook, or computer says. So-called "outlaws" are just a bit more independent than other people, and can be found in any field of endeavor. Not just trucking...

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion

Ohh... My truck won't start. I bumped the keypad for the alarm and it ripped the wires out. I hope this won't inconvenience you or your inspection bay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.