15 speed and 4 speed auxiliary

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by mile marker 27, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I agree 100%.. I really like my 15 speed .. but I'am spinning 3:70's on tall rubber .. the little tecumseh motor I have would struggle with some of the hills and breezes in the sandbox I play in if I had 3:36's
    Maybe someday I can find a new heart for my mule
    Also after further investigation of a story I heard it looks like the tall rubber is soon to be another found memory like the rotory dial phone & incondescent light bulb

beastr123, D.Tibbitt and wore out Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Ever since they hung a timing advance on the 3406 that 15spd is the only transmission you want screwed to a white or yellow engine.

4. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    With the wind load on a cheese grater I don’t know how those guys keep them on their feet with no boards in them between Cowgary and Winnipeg let alone go fast. I’ve gone west out of Winnipeg and gone all the way to Cowgary lots of times with a chilly and only saw the big hole running off of coulees. Livestock trailer must be a real treat out in that.

D.Tibbitt and Last Call Thank this.
  5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I will admit some days In your sand box I would run 9th to keep my temps in check. But 9th was still 65mph at a comfortable RPM.

I just run a lil ol Waukesha myself

6. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    They pull like a parachute.. there's so many variables involved .. MOST of the time I'd rather pull in a wind with a loaded trailer vs a empty trailer.. Those trailers are designed for air flow through .. not around..there's pros & cons when you have to panel up
    In all honesty that's why I love my job.. ( that's not meant to be sarcastic either )

7. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    I can make 65 mph happen in 9th in a 25 or 30 mph breeze but it kinda make's that Indian...oops sorry ( Indigenous American ) do a war chant cause he get alittle hot under the headress when he's beating his Tom Tom at 23 or 2400 rpms hours on end
    I've heard promising things about them Waukeshas .. I think their gonna make a name for themselves

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2022
  8. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Yep. The main lets one control the speed of the winches which were run off pto's on the aux. 15x4 I ran years ago was in front of 5.33's and G20 tires. It would run 70 @ 2100.
    But low in the aux allowed you to run around location in the bottom gear of the high side. Worked nice, I could just leave the main in the same gear for winching and moving, that way you only had to shift the aux and winch.

Those were set up with two sticks, well 3 if you counted the lever for #1 winch, which was driven by a two speed power tower. That lever had a linear shift pattern, not an H.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.