16.5 x 6 brake drum for 6 spoke hub question

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Mb_1, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Mb_1

Mb_1 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2023
    This may sound like a dumb question but figured it's worth a shot does anybody know if using a 16.5 x 7 brake drum (inboard) would work without causing any fitment issues with 6 inch brake shoes on steer x that has spoke hubs reason for asking is because 16.5 x 7 with 11.25 center hole seem to readily available but 16.5 x 6 drums are quite pricey and much harder to find. My guess is it would be fine but would be nice to know for sure if possible before bolting the drum up to the hub and trying it out just to find out it won't work and have wasted a wheel seal, not that its really to big of a deal. My apologies if this isn't the right fourm to be asking this question on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I do not know but put it together without a seal and you have lost nothing but a few minutes.

4. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    It’s probably going to work I would try to measure the offset so to speak of the two drums
    I have done it before but never on a steer axle and never had issues other than the dirt shield won’t fit

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.