16+ passenger vehicle rental for “P” road test

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bill Q, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Bill Q

Bill Q Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Trash heap, Dirty Jersey
    I need some help, I’ve searched the forum I’ve searched DuckDuckGo I’ve tried airports and standard issue vehicle rental spots. So far all I can find is 15 passenger vehicles, I am trying to get my P endorsement so I need a 16+ passenger vehicle rental. Does anyone have any idea how or where to even get one? I have an email out to a local-ish training school who said they will drive out to the test site to let you use your vehicle but I am not too hopeful with that.

I am in southern Jersey/Philly area. I’m not asking someone to do the work for me I’m just really hoping someone knows of a place to actually rent one of these things. Finding an actual tractor trailer was easier than this passenger vehicle deal.

Any help would be appreciated, I’m trying to bang this out before the massive change in February. Any legit leads gets a case of beer

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Just a warning if you find one make sure someone with a cdl drives it to the dmv.

tscottme, brian991219 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Bill Q

Bill Q Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Trash heap, Dirty Jersey
    I just passed my class a last week, I’m assuming without passengers I can drive it myself but I’m not going to lie, trying to decipher some of these regulations gets a little confusing.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You CAN NOT legally drive a vehicle that requires a P or S endorsement EVEN empty without said endorsement!

tscottme, brian991219 and Bill Q Thank this.
  6. Bill Q

Bill Q Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Trash heap, Dirty Jersey
    I tried to reply but it got lost. I passed the knowledge exam so I have the passenger as being passed on my paper permit. I thought it was like the tanker, you could ride in one with a licensed driver obviously but empty tank. So it’s basically there as an endorsement but not really until I pass another road test o_O

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    If you have a permit you can drive these vehicles as long as a fully licensed driver is in the vehicle with you!

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. Bill Q

Bill Q Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2021
    Trash heap, Dirty Jersey
    I am fully licensed now. At this point I’m just trying to get a minibus to do some special maneuvers to add to my valid class a is all.

9. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Get the one from the school, Moose is correct, you will need a CDL driver with a valid P endorsement to accompany you to the test site. As an examiner we are required to verify the CDL of the driver accompanying someone to test.

Now, if you can't find a rental there is a testing site in northeastern PA that has buses on site and will administer the test and rent the bus to you. Search for DiMino Driving Academy. I am not affiliated with them but know they offer these services.

tscottme and TROOPER to TRUCKER Thank this.
  10. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Any local schools, camps, or churches/faith based groups in your area that may lend/rent you one with a driver?

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    There is another option as well. School systems all across the country are screaming for drivers. I know several people that are fill-in drivers that work driving around a schedule. One just retired from greyhound. Some school systems will help get both the P and the S and the exam. For a while, before I actually retired and before I lost my CDL I thought about doing fill-in work! It's at least something to check out!

brian991219, Dockbumper and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.