18-20 year olds possibly driving

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by teams567, Jan 12, 2022.

1. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Anyone against letting someone work out of high school and make a decent living is just selfish or out for their own gain.

If you can be drafted into the army to kill people then you can handle holding a steering wheel.

I was delivering furniture when I was 18. If you told me I could make double the money eliminate all my bills and see the country. I definitely would have had an easier start to my life financially.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Well it’s been like 50 years since the last draft, and this job is more than steering wheel holding. And it’s not like that age group is gonna come running in big numbers if allowed and I tend to think you’d have a high wash out rate.

Bean Jr. and tscottme Thank this.
  4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    The 18 year old that wants to drive a truck is going to be more successful then the 40 year old burnout who just needs a place to live. In my opinion.

5. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I wouldn't worry too much. No one wants to be a truck driver. There won't be some crazy flood of kids out here. The majority of the ones that try will quit just like everyone else.

6. diesel guy454

diesel guy454 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    salina ks
    Can't be any worse than some of the idiots that are already driving.

Gearjammin' Penguin and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't have a problem with 18 y/o's driving, this is a rural environment and a lot of them are driving intrastate anyway.

Follow the money.
    Although the details haven't been made public yet, the 18 y/o funding is a 1 year apprenticeship. Likely means that the carrier will receive wage off-set for that year as well. The megas will be all over that.

Additionally, Ohio just put up money for any Ohio resident to get CDL training with $0 out of pocket. 50 percent grant, 50 percent loan, payments are deferred 1 year. If the individual drives for a carrier with an Ohio mailing address for 1 year, the loan is forgiven. Unknown yet if the driver can change carriers.

At the end of the day, it won't matter. The same percentages will wash out and a "driver shortage" will remain.

bryan21384 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    I thought all young people are lazy and don't want to work anyway?

9. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Social Media Addiction is a huge problem and an obstacle to being able to work.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    18-21 YO can be the safety engineers on the autonomous trucks. They can play on their phone or computer while the computer drives their truck.

Gatordude, Bean Jr. and tscottme Thank this.
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no, you are not the only one, i see a big problem here.

in a story that gets the merry-go-round play over and over again, and then gets posted to trucking websites, over and over again.

it must have been a slow newsday for the WSJ to print this.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.