18 Months Exp?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by johnponte, Apr 13, 2018.

1. johnponte

johnponte Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I'll start by saying how much i appreciate experienced guys input.
    I started out with with a mega and planned to stay for 2 years. I moved a truck with someone standing on the door in a parking lot and was disqualified.
    I went to work for a guy with one truck, who contracted for hauled for a good sized outfit. I was there 4 months and he shut down, leaving me scrambling for a job.
    I got hired by a small outfit I really liked and on my second day backed into another truck, so they let me go.
    I don't have any tickets or other accidents.
    The application process is kind of intrusive.
    So I guess my question is how badly did I screw up?
    I'm 58, new to this crazy industry, just want to pay my dues, get experience and make a living.
    Thanks Guys

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Welcome aboard. I am sure the pros will be around shortly to assist.

4. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    What do you mean by the application process being "intrusive"?

5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    None of that is a real big deal John. Most smaller-mid sized company’s would look over the single accident and the giving a guy a ride.

Personally i would not mention giving the guy a ride, just say things weren’t working out & the split was mutual.

When you backed into the other truck, how bad was the dammage? I mean would you consider it an accident or an incident? If it was a love tap with minimal to no damage, then i would just explain it for what is was with an approximate dollar value of damage.

As long as your driving record is clean you should still get a pretty descent job. Stick with a local company, imo don’t waste time with any of these big guy mega’s.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Depending on where you live, you should be good for most smaller companies to hire. I left my first job with a mega after 6 months because the miles dropped way off, and my second job with a 2 truck company after 8 months because my boss was a POS. Then I hired on with a well paying regional carrier that had me home every weekend with great pay with less than 2 years experience. Most places want at least 2 years experience because that's what their insurance requires them to do. Some are willing to fudge the numbers a little if they want you bad enough and your record is clean.

7. johnponte

johnponte Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    An incident, I creased his fender. I knew the guy was watching me, sitting behind the wheel. He blew, I stopped and straightened out. When I got into the stop he looks at me know I hit him. I apologized and politly
    An incident, I creased his fender. I was backing next to him. He was watching from behind the wheel. I heard him blow, stopped and straightened out. When I got parked he let me know I hit him.
    I apologized and politely asked why he didn't blow sooner.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.