18 speed trans issue a lot of play in the output shaft

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Prohemi500, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Prohemi500

Prohemi500 Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    So I bought a 18 spd Eaton out of a 09 peterbilt. Truck had 900k miles and the trans had no problems. I had a buddy rebuild the transmission replacing the top gear set and all other wear items. (He also rebuilt my 10 spd and it has worked flawlessly). Here's the issue- I just got the trans bolted up and I'm finishing up the job with the yolk and driveshaft install. I tighten the yolk on the the output shaft and I have a lot of up and down and side to side play in the output shaft, a full 360 degree worth of it and the nut is tight! Now there is very little or no in and out movement of the yolk (shaft) but probably 1/2-3/4 inch up and down at the U joint. The yolk, nut, and sensor ring are all correct, the nut is not bottomed out on the shaft, so I am figuring the is a problem with the shaft somewhere inside the rear box.. maybe a spacer or something that's been left out?? I have no idea. I forgot to look at the trans tag at my shop before posting this, so forgive me that I don't have the model number of the trans at the moment. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joey8686

joey8686 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Washer behind the yoke nut,maybe need a thicker one ? Might be able to shim it somehow to take up slack, I had a diff that had play in it like that n mechanic said was normal so I ran it like that for hundreds of thousands of miles n no troubles haha

4. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Is the yolk moving on the shaft or is the shaft moving up and down. If it's the shaft it could possibly be a bad bearing in the main box, not the auxiliary box.

5. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Just Google18speed Eaton repair manual, download the pdf and it will tell you everything you need to know.

6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Yolks are pretty soft. Try a yoke and see if it tightens up. :^)

What does the rebuilder say about it? I'm hoping you'll follow up on what you find.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.