18 year old non-cdl hotshot, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Joegt, Jul 29, 2019.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Nevermind, I read the post wrong...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    6.4 is the worst :)
    Ask me how i know it .

4. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Why wouldn't you go to the college at this age and become a doctor or attorney with much brighter future ... Unless your dad has great success and you will heritage this business . I wish my kids would never think about trucking company , no matter what level its going to be .

5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Know this is an old thread, but

I agree

I wasn’t happy when my son wanted to get into trucking , (I got out years ago)
    But at least he has HVAC repair experience and is a certified welder, before he got into trucking .
    You need a plan B for a different career when you get tired of living in a truck and want to live a normal life in a House with a wife and kids and a dog.
    Or all it takes is an accident or a couple of traffic tickets and your truck driving career is OVER. And if you haven’t already got a backup career plan in mind , you’re gonna be in a jam and scrambling to earn money .
    I got a ticket for colliding with a car that tried to pass me on the right while I was making a right turn .
    Get another ticket of any kind in the next three years and you’re trucking days are over .

If you’re itching to get on the road at 18 I’d suggest getting a sprinter van and doing expedited freight

under 10k so should be legal for crossing state lines . Should be exempt from all the rules and regs .
    I have a friend , in his 50s with a sprinter van he bought at the scratch and dent auction where the ins companies sell the wrecked cars, and he’s making really good money running expedited freight
    Sometimes it’s a couple of pallets and sometimes it’s just a few small boxes that absolutely positively must be delivered 800 miles away ASAP
    Told me he was clearing 80 cents a mile, after he paid for fuel . And I know he paid cash for the van because he doesn’t borrow money for anything ever , but the van was only a few thousand.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.