18yrs old and want to get into expediting and hotshotting.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by YoungMan50, Sep 18, 2017.

1. YoungMan50

YoungMan50 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Right now i have bern running a Lawncare/landscaping buisness bymyself for the past 5 months and have done over 30k. I just foundout about the world of expediting and hotshotting and I want in. My grabdfather ran a Trucking company in the 70s so he can help me a little bit but he doesnt know much about hotshotting. Anyways how can i get ahead and be ready when i turn 21? how can i get adavantagr since i have to wait before i get a class A cdl. What should i prepare myself for. Long term goal is have a million at age 30 and be debt free.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can get a cdl at 18 yrs. old, but can't drive outside your state.
    Pretty often people post about that on here and we recommend they attend a cdl school and get the cdl, then find some type of driving job that stays within the state until they're 21 yrs. old. This way, when you turn 21, you'll already have 3 yrs. cdl-A experience.
    Which state are you in?

Tb0n3 and Puppage Thank this.
  4. YoungMan50

YoungMan50 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2017

I am in Northwest Alabama. Can you be profitable running in-state? Being 18, can you find a job driving commercially that pays decent?

5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Construction/paving. A few years of it really gave me some skills in driving in places most OTR drivers never see.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, that's a couple of ideas. Pay may not be great, but it's a start. Once you're 21 the pay can jump to $65K + with some companies such as tankers or foodservice trucking.
    You can find a job at 18 on Craigslist or household moving companies. Household moving companies sometimes hire 18 yr. old drivers as driver helpers. Then there's courier services driving cargo vans. Maybe some hotshot companies will let you drive within the state; depends on their insurance companies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.