1976 K100 Cabover project

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by flipper88, Jan 17, 2020.

1. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I will have to check on the hand valve. I know when I pull it, I hear a little leaking back there but I will check when I get home. Both lines that are there do not have colors, they are black.

And yes when you press the brake it blows air. When the brake is not pressed they do not leak and the truck holds perfect air pressure.

What exactly is the tractor protection valve and what does it do? I am very new to this and don’t know what that is. I can say that the valves on the dash (Red, Yellow, blue) all operate as they should. And when the truck gets below 60psi the valves pop out automatically.

Thank you guys for all your help with this!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    44D2A023-FCBE-4BFC-9AFC-2AE381436271.jpeg The valve should look like this or similar if a different brand. It should have the hoses for the trailer brakes connected to it unless they removed them and / or plugged the ports. The red knob valve has a hose that connects to this valve also to supply air to trailer to release its park brakes. Back then the yellow knob normally only controlled tractor park brakes and was independent of the red.
    The blue knob should be connected to a reserve tank that is isolated from the rest of brake system somewhere usually under cab. All it does is give you an extra supply of air to release park brakes in an emergency if all the other system air is lost. Another California mandate originally. We used to call them California Bus Valves.
    The systems back than were much simpler and a bit different than todays. Less parts and b.s. and accomplished the same thing. It
    Stopped the truck.
    BTW. Does she have steer axle brakes?

4. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    What your saying makes complete sense! Thank you for your detailed response. The trailer lines have been removed and this must be where they cut them off at, on the truck side of the tractor protection valve. Question, If I was to cap off these lines and plug them, without replacing the tractor protection valve, would there be any harm done? I will never pull a trailer with this tractor.

And yes it does have breaks on the steer axle.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If you are gonna use the truck as a straight truck and never hook an air braked trailer you do not need a protection valve at all. I would remove the lines entirely and plug the red valve on the dash and if you wanna keep the hand valve for looks plug it too. If not you can remove it completely too. Its only needed for trailer control. That way if red valve is pushed or hand valve is pulled no air will be lost. And that way you or the next caretaker can always plumb it back up for a trailer if need be.
    Reason I asked about steer axle brakes is they were not required by law until mid 1980. So most three axle trucks up to ‘80 I’ve seen or owned never have them. But you said it has power steering so most likely thats why. Majority of manual steers did not.

6. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020

So I had my wife work the brakes last night while I had my hands on the two lines. There is one that is larger and one that is smaller. The larger of the two is the only one that expels air. The smaller one didn't at all. If she pulled the hand brake, or pressed on the foot brake the larger line would expel air.

I had a thought that might be stupid. But since there is an air line back there that is useless. Instead of plugging it, place a fitting on the end. That way if I ever needed to air up a tire or run an air tool I have access to air, all i would have to do is pull the hand brake to charge it. Thoughts?

Also... Big question. Does anyone know where the fuses for this truck are???? I cant for the life of me find them.

Thanks!

7. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    That air line is gonna be connected to the foot valve or a check valve under cab. Trace it back and disconnect and plug. Its really not safe to leave it there or cap the end since its part of the brake system. If it ever ruptures you will have no brakes when you hit peddle. Best thing to do for an aux. air port for air tools or what not is to put a good quality quick disconnect like you have on end of airtool hose into a non used fitting in the air tank.
    That vintage Kw and Pete did not use fuses they used circuit breakers. I cannot remember where they are located on The Kw’s but on the Pete’s they were under the dash behind the light switches above the dog house. The table like top of dash is hinged and flips up for access. Remove a couple screws.
    My godfather had a ‘77 K100 from new for about 20 years. Unfortunately he is no longer with us to ask and the truck has been MIA since he sold it.

8. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I had not thought of that, that is a way better idea! I will remove the unused lines all together. I have been under the dash portion you speak of, it is an absolute mess of wires... i didn't see anything that resembled a breaker but ill look again this weekend now that i know what I'm looking for. You have been extremely helpful! I'm thinking its a breaker issue I'm having with the lights. The brake lights and blinkers work. But when I hit the head light switch nothing comes on. No headlights, tail lights, or running lights what so ever. Hoping its something as easy as a breaker.

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  9. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Forgot to mention. Check the smaller line by pushing in the red valve and see if air comes out of it. If so plug it so if the valve is ever accidently pushed you won’t lose air. And just to be safe make sure it doesn't do it with the yellow or blue also.

10. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I will look into that thank you!

11. flipper88

flipper88 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    This weekend my plan for the truck is to do an intense interior detail. Vacuuming every square inch and wiping down every square inch. As well as remove the mattress, which seems to be in great clean shape, but I'm not going to risk it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.