1986 GMC Astro rebuild...questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Modrob, Nov 8, 2017.

1. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Yes I did V12 Detroit. If it was not factory someone did a really good job.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Google JD5010 V12 Dirty Dozen. That and finish mower would make a dandy lawn tractor. I could not find that myself but there are some 5020's.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    spyder7723 Thanks this.
  4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I absolutely know they had 12v entices in cabovers. That was never in question. Heck i owned one. What was in question was a 12v in this particular model.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Some of the older stuff that had a v12 looks a bit smaller/shorter too. I wonder how much of an angle the drive line had?

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I don't know. My k100 was definately not short or small. At least not in cabover standards.

7. Modrob

Modrob Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Chattanooga, TN
    LOL...this thing is full of surprises--as well as maddening items too. This attached pic is a "micro switch " under left dash, triggered by the clutch pedal...what in blazes is that for?
    Let's see...what did I learn today while outside messing with it? Curiosity still nagged at me at getting the Bendix air dryer cartridge out from the base. That cartridge case is TOUGH! After many failures with even a chain drive wrapped around it, I went for the gold and took an angle grinder to it...well, it didn't go that easy, as I found out just how well built it was. And those warnings about the high pressure spring in the end of it? Check that item too! LOL...it DOES have some pressure behind it! Now I know what exactly was inside it. Curiosity satisfied. I think I can still salvage this unit with just a new cartridge...
    Decided that while I was projecting on several other items on it that I'd take the steering wheel off and try some repair to restore it...guess what? Been about 5 hours on it, and yep--it's STILL mounted! I've heated, PB Blasted it (over and over), hit around it with hammer and still not moved a smidgeon. Can't get a puller to work and I've pretty much trashed the hub area of the wheel by this point too...
    HOW in the world...
    Oh, and thanks again for the replies and helpful comments. It's very much appreciated...

Attached Files:

8. Modrob

Modrob Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ah...interesting stuff. I'll take a closer look and see where they run to. And post a pic or two...I can almost make out the faded label on that top valve but not just yet. Can't seem to find the right light and angle where I can see what was printed...

9. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Around the steering wheel hub , there are not threaded holes ?

10. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    The microswitch on the clutch pedal arm ties in with the engine brake.

Modrob and 201 Thank this.
  11. Modrob

Modrob Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Chattanooga, TN
    I thought so too...felt like it as well but the first bolts didn't hold...felt like bolt could have been a touch bigger. Those were 1/4 inch so I went to 5/16 and they are too big. So off to Ace Hardware in search of metric ones. 6 and 7 mm seemed to be in the right area so I tried them too. One did seem to "fit" however with the puller pulling they pulled out too. I'm perplexed to say the least. Everything so far on this thing has been a nightmare to pull off. May end up buying a whole case of PB Blaster before too long...lol...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.