1988 4964f A/C problems

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by n4ane, May 2, 2021.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Trinary switch, depending if it’s female or male. (Female) OEM# RD5-4625-0. Truck Air/ MEI#11-2627. ( Male) OEM# RD5-4585-0. Or # 02-2750417. Truck Air/MEI# 11-2625

n4ane Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    C53A08D1-33AE-48CB-85AB-034C7E412FC4.jpeg Expansion valve, here’s what the book says. I notice yours says 134A. Can’t find that # though.

n4ane Thanks this.
  4. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Blow the freon and check the compressor oil,if it s grey or black you know the compressor is bad

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    48EBA878-6B19-4602-AADD-85EC5BDBF71A.jpeg 2D649C0C-7627-46AB-9566-7ECECA737661.jpeg 1F8ED075-631C-459E-AD38-82F9DE152FBB.jpeg Here’s the ones showing in the book. Last 3 on list aren’t shown at all.

n4ane Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    826CD8D5-AF56-48EE-8C5A-4428DE6CBEAC.jpeg 77561B88-9327-4F60-9BFF-69722041FEB3.jpeg Apparently someone has upgraded the valve. No telling. Here’s an example of an r12 and a 143a ones 2 ton, others a 2.5 ton. Tonnage rating, along with type of thread/ fittings seems to be the key to finding the correct valve in your case. They also have plugs available if needed, to make a 4 hole work as a 3 hole. You really should just change out that compressor, along with new ported 134A lines, if you don’t already have them. New compressor doesn’t have ports, like the R12 compressor does. I can look up correct compressor based on plug, pulleys, and hose fittings. New hoses will need to fit new compressor. Depending on what combinations are available, there’s different options sometimes. It would be best to get a common compressor, that’s readily available, due to cost differences. Oddball compressors are a lot more $$ and hard to get. Nows the time to pick a compressor and get proper lines/fittings for it, and expansion valve, and condenser.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    n4ane Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    You can call MEI, they’re very helpful. I can’t find the #. Maybe @Dino soar has it. He just built his own system from scratch.

n4ane Thanks this.
  8. n4ane

n4ane Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Thanks guys TONS of great info and part numbers that I can call fleetpride with in the morning. Unfortunately I don't have a truck pro but fleepride should be able to use these part numbers and find something that will work. Hopeful they have something in stock and or can get it fast. This week is supposed to be rain all week so if I work its going to be humid at crap and getting heat off the dash and floor is going to suck. Also it was charged with r134a however I was looking at my pictures and noticed that the compressor is rated for r-12 so I guess that is probably my failing point.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Ride and repair has a lot of good information about these compressors and the parts.

Honestly my own personal opinion is if the truck is that old and you have no history on if any of those parts were ever replaced I would replace the compressor the condenser the dryer and the expansion valve and possibly even the evaporator. I would make sure you flush the hoses really well and flush the evaporator and see how dirty it is and how clean you can get it to come out of there. Autozone or Advance Auto Parts has an AC flush that will work really well, just make sure you blow it clean with compressed air.

If you replace the compressor and the whole system you know that you have the right amount of oil and the right amount of refrigerant and your system will work at Peak efficiency.

My guess would be there's moisture in the system and that is why your expansion valve is freezing up. Did you pull a vacuum on it? Also your dryer is really supposed to be replaced every other year or every few years anyway, or whenever you open the system up. If the desiccant inside is not able to filter properly if there is any moisture it will make your expansion valve freeze up.

If your switches are working I wouldn't worry about them right now because they're simple to change. But you do have to make sure you get the dryer that has the right size threads for them.

If you are planning on replacing the compressor let me know what engine you have. I have to take a look at the old compressor but that may be the same number that my old compressor was.

Rideandrepair and n4ane Thank this.
  10. n4ane

n4ane Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Yes I am replaceing everything but the condenser and evaporator at least at the moment if I dont have to. It has a big cam cummins

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I know everyone has said you can just flush the lines, and thats true, you can, but do yourself a huge favor and just replace them, evap, flush it, thats probably no problem, but if the condenser has more than a year on it, just replace that too

The advantage to doing it this way will be that you wont just buy the oem ac lines or be bound to that, you pull your old lines and mark each one with the changes you want made to them and have a shop make new ones, use as little metal line as you can. You will still obviously need some near the txv valve and compressor and basically all the hose ends, but doing it this way should save you koney long term and you can route your hoses intelligently instead of the way theyve been. While youre at it, find a standard condenser you know and like, and just figure out what changes will need to be made to make that work both mounting and hose wise.

Dino soar, Rideandrepair and n4ane Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.