1990 379 low air volume from vents.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Tennyshoe, May 17, 2023.

1. Tennyshoe

Tennyshoe Bobtail Member

May 17, 2023
    Fan motor works on all speeds. Blend doors are directing air flow. Just very low volume of air from any location, defrost/dash/ or floor. Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    You're either losing air somewhere, blower motor ain't working good, blend doors not sealing, or the thing could be completely covered in dirt.

How many times has the housing been fixed?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Tennyshoe

Tennyshoe Bobtail Member

May 17, 2023
    Truck new to me don't have history on any a/c, heater repair. However looks like a new heater core has been installed recently, cleaned all parts while I had it down.

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Do you feel any air loss around the box? And do yoy feel air from multiple vents? Such as floor, defrost, vent

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  6. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Have youbreplaced the cabin air filter?

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Pull the Heater core and evaporator. Most likely blocked by fine dirt, debris.

Clean or replace.

The filter is just a rock catcher.

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    My former 1994 379 didn’t flow enough air in high in my opinion, even after I blew air through the evaporator. The sleeper would freeze your arse off. My replacement truck which is a 2014 Pete, on the hottest day, no need to go higher than 2 on the dial out of 4.

On my 379(former), I ran a clip on oscillating fan between the seats and would circulate the air better.

Tennyshoe Thanks this.
  9. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    '91 379 here. I feel your pain. I removed the glove box then a/c fan. Cleaned the fan blades well (bird cage?) and flushed out the heater core as best I could with some kind of top secret OMG Heater Core Cleaner Outer foam and standard garden hose. Lotta crap was flushed out but didnt really help much. Fan needed a good cleaning though. I do have some cracks and leaks in my dash too.

10. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Truck is 33 years old. Check all the ductwork. It may be cracked, disconnected, not sealing at the joints/connections. Blow air through the ducts. Maybe a critter made a nest though most of the time that ends up in the fresh air intake and blower motor.

Oxbow, Tennyshoe and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.