1994 W900L AC Theromostat Switch

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by JimmyWells, May 26, 2017.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Does it have a Sanden or a York style compressor? If it's a Sanden, replace it.

I might be tempted to put a valve plate in a York style compressor. But then again, maybe not. A valve plate costs about 70 bucks with gaskets. I think you can get a reman York for about 200 bucks.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    And you'd have about what, 80 bucks replacing both of those switches? By the time you ####. around with it long enough, you've wasted that many dollars in time.

Alas, I am guilty of that sometimes. My need to tinker with #### sometimes outweighs logic.

Diesel Dave and JimmyWells Thank this.
  4. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    It's a York style compressor. I can get a replacement with a new clutch assembly for $289 shipped. I may not replace it if I don't have to. After all, it still works and gets the temps down to around 38 degrees.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. JimmyWells

Apr 7, 2016
    So you think I should just hang new thermoswitch and trinary switches instead of troubleshooting it? I'm inclined to agree! I do like to "solve" issues BUT my time is kind of limited at the moment and I need to get this squared away ASAP.

6. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    If you're pressed for time, I would just replace the switches. Then when you get a minute, pop the head off the compressor and have a look at the valve plate. A gasket set costs about $9.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I thought I was the only one that did this,....... tinker around with stuff that outweighs logic also, and has cost me more money then would of done it what was the issue in the first place. I like to use the phrase, "trial and error".

lilillill Thanks this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I had an issue with my York compressor on my K100 back in the day, did exactly what you described, what ended being the problem was the wire that came out of the clutch was broken inside the insulation. With the vibration it would make contact and the compressor would kick on, then when it cycled it wouldn't come back on. Just something to think about.

JimmyWells and lilillill Thank this.
  9. JimmyWells

Apr 7, 2016
    Will do, thanks. I managed to get the thermoswitch out today. This thing is in some bad condition. Replacing it is a no-brainer.

Attached Files:

10. JimmyWells

Apr 7, 2016
    Thanks. I'll definitely give it a closer look in other areas. As far as the clutch wiring, I'm losing power before that point so there technically could be a broken wire somewhere else in the system no doubt. That's definitely something I would come to expect from a 23 year old truck. Of course, when this all first started I went straight for the fuses and relays. They all checked out ok then I started looking really close at wires and connections. Found a few chaffed wires but non were grounding out though, luckily.

11. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Uh, yep, I'd say that thing was toast long ago.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.