1994 W900L AC Theromostat Switch

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by JimmyWells, May 26, 2017.

1. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Put a new compressor, clutch, thermo and trinary switches on today. Tested for leaks, vacuumed the system and charged up with 2lbs and 12ozs. No freezing, 40 at center vent (idling on recirculate), 38 or so while driving.

I'm not sure if I have enough charge on it though but I'm apprehensive about putting too much in. Low side was slowly fluctuating between 25-30 and high side was around 225 on a sunny 80 degree day at 35% humidity. Should I risk adding more?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I would leave it as is. The pressures look good and it's cooling good.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  4. JimmyWells

Apr 7, 2016
    I'm leaning that way as well. Although, that pesky tinkering bug is nagging me.

5. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Have a question on these ac units? If part of the system was replaced. Then vacuumed out good. But never gassed up, would this mess up the system? Was told that was done 4 years ago. Guy did not use AC's, so he did not gas it up. But told me he did have a vacuum pulled on it when the parts were replaced.
    Reason parts were replaced. Driver wrecked and took out the Air to Air and ac parts along with the Hood and Radiator. So all that was replaced and never charged the system back up. If I buy the truck. Was thinking take my gauges and charge the system up. Sure hate to drive it home . 5+ hours with no AC. And being its getting into the 90's. This fat boy does not like hot air.
    Also on a 72" Studio sleeper truck. Would I be ok with thinking around 2.5 lbs would get it working? As not sure how much it takes on these W900l with 72" Sleeper. Also 1997 model truck. With the York compressor.

6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    At a minimum, I would replace the drier, vacumn it down again and charge it if it shows to be leak free. (Holds a vacumn with no needle movement for 15 minutes)

A drier will cost you $25-30 at most.

JimmyWells and tnpete Thank this.
  7. JimmyWells

Apr 7, 2016
    I would replace the dryer (and new oiled o rings), pull a vacuum and charge it. Even if it leaks a little at least you'll have A/C to get you to your destination.

8. JimmyWells

Apr 7, 2016
    Just wanted to update this to say the initial 2lbs and 12oz didn't work once the temps got into the 90's. I ended up putting a total of 5lbs 4oz (what the data plate called for) and now it's amazing in the cab. The A/C clutch stays running but I can hear the relay in the kick panel cutting in and out as the center vent alternates between 38 and 42 degrees.

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Take front cover off out on the firewall. There will be a tray that sits on top of heat and evap core. The switch is mounted in the center of it with two wires going to it. Unplug wires and pull tray out being careful as to not damage the probe that is Jamed into the evap core. 5 lbs sounds like to much for that system. I run 3 1/2 lbs in all the W9s I have owned and never had a problem. If you have to much in the system the pressure will not let the pressure switches work correctly.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  10. JimmyWells

Apr 7, 2016
    No sir. As I previously mentioned, that's what the data plate calls for and it's functioning beautifully now. And I've already replaced the switch. It was definitely toasted. I've posted a picture in this thread earlier.

11. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Sorry didn't pay attention to the date on the post. My bad.

JimmyWells Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.