1996 fld with 12.7 Detroit attached video what u think

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by united972, Sep 27, 2021.

1. united972

united972 Light Load Member

May 26, 2016
    Guys I’m buying this fld to me it sounds great but has a little blow by.

1996 fld 10 speed

1.5 mill on engine but has been rebuilt few years per owner he hauled sand with it. I know no paperwork means no rebuilt but with the market these days it’s hard to find decent priced truck especially pre eld.

truck cold start psi is 60 psi and idle is attached pic also I attached video of blow by and sound of engine

let me know what I’ll guys think? I know this doesn’t give a lot of info but any help would greatly be appreciated

We agreed to 15k had virgin rubber new brakes and drums as well

here is link to blow and engine video

https://youtube.com/shorts/N-jd9dQQ0aw?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/oe3OkmdBRlA?feature=share

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Price?
    Condition of rest

AModelCat and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. united972

May 26, 2016
    I updated post with new pic and link also price

5. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Those off road trucks really take a beating from what I seen.
    Esp sand.
    Fld120 are tough easy to work on trucks. S60 12.7 very good motor. If you do buy it anticipate a rebuild. From 10k to 15k.
    This one appears to have the small sleeper.

Price maybe a little high. Did you test drive it? Have a mechanic check it out?

If you did buy it an ran DryVan for 1 month in this market you could probably rebuild it an know you have a good motor.
    Rates are good now.

6. united972

May 26, 2016

That’s very true is blow by normal for these engines? Everyone I talked to said 12.7 like to blow

7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    They had lots of blow/by even with less than 750,000 mi. on them!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Test drive the truck over to nearest Dino. and have them print out a ECM. report for you and take that and Dino. report and make them a offer if it passes ?

Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Bull gear would be a concern for me. Has that been done?

Dino soar and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Looks good from everything I see. $15k isn’t too much at all. Considering the tires, brakes being some of the biggest maintenance costs, and the overall good condition. Well worth a few k. Frame looks clean. Electrical is another consideration. Don’t want too much hacking or a bunch of rust inside the fuse panel. A little corrosion on beakers can be expected, and easily cleaned up. Should be fine. Not sure how much cheaper you can find. Anything less would be real junk. Blow by is just part of owning a 12.7. They all have it more than other engines. That doesn’t look bad at all. FLD 112 isn’t anything special. I wouldn’t spend a lot improving it. Maybe a nice chrome bumper, Nu Finish wax will get the chalk out of the red paint. Make it look real nice. Just keep it up, mechanically. Always be little things to do on Windows, doors, dash, none of its very expensive. Everything’s easy to do on that Truck. Good solid money maker. Oil pressure looks real good. I see water temp is low. Oil pressure will drop once it’s warm. Probably 48 at 1100, 28 at 600 idle. Truck looks good, I wouldn’t hesitate, if it fits your Operation. Bull gear can be checked, by taking off small 5 bolt access cover. Viscosity Damper often get overlooked. Vibration causes the A/C/ALT bracket to wobble. Often wallowing out the front cover bolt holes. Bolts snap off often, once it’s worn. There’s a few fixes. Including bushings or bracket upgrades. I upgraded mine with new bracket, Sanden ( instead of York) A/C compressor. You can do that if needed. You can get a pad mount alternator and add a tensioner pulley, if yours is a problem. Not much else to worry about. Bushings for Cab, motor mounts, replace any worn clutch linkage, keeps clutch operation in spec. Then there’s air bags, torque rods for axles and Cab. Keep the level valve adjusted, for axles and Cab, good shocks. Chances are all those things, maybe even Rear spring hanger bushings, front spring bushings, king pins, and other front end parts, might need replacing eventually, if good now. You’ll get to know it well. It’s still a 25 yr old Truck. Parts are cheap and available. Truck is simple and easy to work on. Just have to understand it’s going to need maintenance on some things you never expected, because of its age. What hurts is big $$ repairs for engine, trans or rears. You can easily spend more than the Trucks worth. Have to think about overall cost of Operation. Run it to get your money out of it. I like the FLDs for this reason. There’s a reason why they were so popular for so many years. Overall cost is very low, compared to others, because of being simply designed, easy to work on, and inexpensive parts. Lots of aftermarket parts available, at even better prices. For now anyway.

united972 Thanks this.
  11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    @Dino soar can tell you all about the FLDs. Just don’t mention Peterbilt’s to him.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.