1998 international 9400 n14 red top

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by sgtriverrat, Oct 22, 2017.

1. sgtriverrat

sgtriverrat Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2017
    my truck has been completely gone through. Motor tranny and rear ends all have less than 200,00. My problem is a clutch noise at an idle. It goes away as soon as I press the clutch and doesn't happen all the time.. The shop I use is saying the crank is moving and causing the issue. I do not buy this because if it was the crank I feel that the rear main seal would be leaking. I think something is wrong with the flywheel or the clutch because none of this started until after they resurfaced the flywheel and put in new clutch. Issue is not in tranny either it made the noise with the new one so we put my old one back in and still same noise

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Throw out bearing on clutch assembly.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I know it sounds bad, but many times it's nothing to worry about. Of course, I'd have to hear it, but we have also experienced this after doing a clutch job. Some clutches and bell housing are so dirty and caked full of grease that we have to wash them out. It is common to have a good layer of an inch or more think of grease, dirty and clutch dust built up all over in there. This acts as a great sound barrier and absorber. Then we clean everything out and now the bell housing sorta acts like an echo chamber and those little noises sound louder and worse than they actually are. I'm not saying you have nothing wrong, but I am saying not all noises mean something is wrong.
    Make sure your idle speed isn't too low. I recommend unbolting the clutch from the flywheel and turning it 180 degrees and rebolt it. This can be done with the trans still installed. You just have to reinstall the spacer blocks between the clutch and release bearing to take the pressure off the flywheel.

KB3MMX, xsetra and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.