1998 international 9400

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by sgtriverrat, Oct 22, 2017.

1. sgtriverrat

sgtriverrat Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I have an International 9400 that has an issue with the pinon angle between the two rear ends. If you set the ride height to anywhere near the factory specs it puts the intermediate shaft at too much of an angle and cause severe drive line noise. I have to run with the air ride jacked way up to keep the shaft straight and noise free. Ha's anyone ever had this issue and if so what was the cause.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Usually what happens is you had a spring replaced or the suspension apart for some reason and when they reassembled it they installed the tapered seats or spacer blocks backward to make a several axle pitch change. Once way or the other, something has been taken apart and reassembled incorrectly. You also need to know if your ride height is correct in the first place. Trucks can have different types of suspensions from different manufactures. So if you can tell what specific type of suspension you have I can tell you how to measure ride height and what the spec for it is.

4. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    I had a very similar problem with my 95,IH 9300.When the air was dumped completely,the angle of the driveshaft between the rears,became so severe if you moved the truck,it would bind up and tear out the rear bearing on the front differential output shaft.Mine was ok when operated at the correct level.I put a about a 3/4" spacer on top of the pads to keep the rear from dumping all the way.Would still dump plenty.Truck had the N400 rears.
    Mine came from the factory that way,engineering effup.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    A company I worked for had an 87-9370, actually about 15 at that one location. One of them had a campaign to replace the axle seats. It came from the factory with the wrong ones. It happens. Seats can also be shimmed.

6. sgtriverrat

sgtriverrat Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I have Spicer rear ends in the truck. The truck has rode terrible since I bought it. The air bags have always been extremely tight. Almost to popping point. We adjusted the right height to internationals specs per my vin number . It was either 9.5 or 10.5 inches from the butt weld on the center of the rear rear end to the bottom frame rail. When put at this height is when all the noises start..

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If you give the me the last 8 of your vin, I can see what it was built with.

8. maconhadalata

maconhadalata Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2014
    newark, nj
    Can you shed some light on my truck? 2hsfhasr5xc087585. I know internationals don’t ride smooth, but mine is ridiculous.? My butt is tacking a beat...

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Make sure your cab air ride is working, and not down all the way and the bump stop hitting all the time. Make sure your main suspension is at the right height. Top of the air bag to the bottom should be 12 1/2" +/- 1/4".

10. maconhadalata

Dec 11, 2014
    newark, nj
    I bought a new cab suspension assembly, it got a little better. But still horrible. I will check the ride height as I’m installing new air bags. Ty

11. maconhadalata

Dec 11, 2014
    newark, nj
    How I measure the air bag?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.