1998 Kenworth w9. Cracked frame rail Passenger side

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by irishluck09, Apr 12, 2024.

1. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    So, I've had a few posts put up regarding my cracked frame rail which was discovered a few months ago.

I finally got the crack pushed back together and welded up. Then double frame it with another piece of frame rail.
    So that's all good and done.

I was told another thing to help with the fix is to change the sh!tty shackle out that has the 2 holes through the bottom of the frame rail out with the updated shackle that uses 3 bolts in the side of the frame instead of 1 and 2 through the bottom. So, I have those new shackles.

So here is my issue I'm just curious about. I'm trying to drill new holes for the new shackle. I lined up where the spring is supposed to be with the old shackle. But the new shackle can't sit as low as the old shackle due to the fact the bottom 2 mounting holes wouldn't even go through the frame. There's prolly like a 3" difference. So, my question is, is it going to hurt anything to have the leaf spring itself sit higher/ closer to the frame than the OEM shackle does? Also, how did you determine the best place to mount the new updated shackle bracket?

I've attached images so that anyone who has done this repair can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Opendeckin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So just to clarify, the location of the pin is at a different height in relation to the frame with the new hanger?

If so, it will probably change your caster angle. I don't know if they make longer shackles to compensate for that.

@Heavyd knows the alignment stuff far better than I do.

Vampire Thanks this.
  4. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019

This shackle is the replacement/upgraded version of the old style. So, I highly doubt there is another. one.
    But yes, the new shackle would raise the pin height vs the old style which sat lower.

I do plan on taking it to get an alignment after I install these new shackles though too.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    B20-6006KTP.jpg
    These are shackles. What you have pictured are the hangers.

Vampire Thanks this.
  6. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019
    Either way, I need to figure out from the guys who have done this repair how they did it.

7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    So your installing a Peterbilt hanger. What's your question?

8. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019
    It's a Kenworth hanger and I asked my question in the last paragraph I wrote.

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    This is a Question for a long time KW mechanic

is there a technical service bulletin from KW the dealers about the repair ?

10. circle h

circle h Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2020
    From what I have seen that is the correct fix. You will probably need a block between the spring and axle to keep the frame level. You will also probably need a different caster shim. A good alignment should make it right.

Vampire Thanks this.
  11. Icp36

Icp36 Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2024
    I cracked my frame almost 100% I shut my truck down and had both brand new frame rails put in 97 T800. This is when I learned how common it is for these frames to crack.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.