1998 kenworth w900 cracked frame rail :'(

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by irishluck09, Dec 5, 2023.

1. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    That might be the bracket but I thought it was wider at the base end.
    Bolting a reinforcement rail inside is not much more than an insurance policy (a good one that’ll be cheap) unless the bolts are tight in the holes. If the holes are drilled with clearance it will still allow the welded section of frame to be stressed. Moral of the story match drill the holes and then ream to finished size and try not to have threads in the hole. Or weld a small reinforcement to the inside of the frame making sure to taper it out to avoid stress concentrations. And whatever you do don’t weld all the way to the outside edge of the flange stop 1/4-1/2 inch away

Feedman, Big Road Skateboard and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I have a 2000 that had been repaired prior to me buying it. It's a dump truck and packs a lot weight on the front. The repair has held up fine. I noticed a slight notch on the inside of the flange that was not welded and wondered about that.

4. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    What are you referring too when ou say dont weld all the way to the outside edge? Like do you mean at the bottom of crack or what?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I'll let @W923 explain the why, but on mine they did not weld clear to edge of the flange, which in my case was the bottom flange (inside).

Last Call Thanks this.
  6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Think what @W923 meant was do Not weld on the flange because you will take the temper out of the flange which is what gives all the strength to the frame rails just a piece of worthless advice If it was me I would have a piece of steel custom bend to fit tight inside the rail sung enough where you had to pound it in with about a 5 lb hammer I would also thoroughly clean and then use marine grease and coat the backside of the sleeve your installing to help prevent rust jacking between the old frame rail and new sleeve. Like @W923 said bolting the new sleeve in is just basically a false sense of a permanent fix .. I would differently weld it in .. this is all just my opinion

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    If you can find another scrap frame somewhere you can cut sections out of it to make the sleeve. That way the steel is relatively the same strength and type and the flange radias’ will fit nicely. One flange can be cut off or trimmed to fit inside original rail. Instead of being a “C” it can be an “L” if that makes sense. Might get lucky and find a piece that has a hole or two that match up pretty decent too.

Feedman and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Speak up!

JoeyJunk, Last Call and Feedman Thank this.
  10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    He’s kinda shy

11. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I've got a Custom Truck right up the road from me. I called them and they said they should have a piece of frame that they can find. I'd need one that is exactly 11" tall to fit inside the original one. $35 a ft and I should be able to fit a 3ft piece. So ill clamp it inside the frame and I'm going to drill through it to the same OEM holes that are already in the frame, which should be around 7-8 holes. weld the crack closed and then bolt it up with either grade 8 or maybe grade 10.9 bolts.

SmallPackage and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.