1998 kenworth w900 cracked frame rail :'(

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by irishluck09, Dec 5, 2023.

1. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Typically it’s as determined sitting in the seat and looking straight ahead. So your right frame rail broke. Don’t feel bad sometimes I have to think about which hand sits on the shifter when someone tells me to turn right or left lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tmg348

tmg348 Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2023
    My 98 w900 cracked on drivers side ##* in the driver seat c”mon. LOL. My names trevor by the way. Big Kenworth got hit on side and the truck jackknifed. It stayed up right until the front passenger side steer dug into the soft median and it twisted the front front half of truck over. Broke the bell housing at the bolt holes. Passenger frame looks straight. Driver side is shot. Is it worth fixing? It’s my first truck of mine. I took a liking to it. Thanks

4. irishluck09

irishluck09 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Does anyone have a solution for this?

I've repaired the frame. Welded and plated the inside. I'm changing the hangers now but I've run into a bit of a snag with the new hangers.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

W923 Thanks this.
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    What is the snag? Cannot exactly tell from the pictures but does the end of the springs not line up with the hanger? That is not an uncommon problem when replacing front springs and hangers when no frame work was done. Have to use a come a long and pull them together or a porta power and push them apart. Loosen the U bolts a bit and try that.

W923 Thanks this.
  6. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019
    Its not that it doesn't line up, its that I have to raise up the spring to attach to the new hanger were it will sit.
    Problem is that it will throw off the alignment and caster of the truck by shifting the axle. Its atleast a 3" difference.
    So i was wondering what others had done when they installed these upgraded hangers

7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Isn’t the hole pattern supposed to line up with the original holes ? If it’s an updated version, the bolt pattern is “Still” should be the same but the rest of it updated. I’ve updated a set on my former 379 and they looked different (updated) however the bolt pattern was the same.

BoxCarKidd and YardMule89 Thank this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Bolt pattern and length should be the same. You might need a different parts guy or go aftermarket.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  9. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019
    It is aftermarket. This new hanger is not the original hanger. I'm switching it out with a different style because the OEM style is the reason why the frames break. OEM hanger uses 2 bolts on the flange of the frame and 1 bolt through the side. Causes to much stress on bottom of the frame so it cracks.
    I'm trying to solve that issue by changing it to a different Kenworth hanger that moves the mounting bolts on the side of the frame, so it reduces the stress on the frame. Thats why I was asking the people in here who have done this exact repair, what they did to solve this issue with the difference in heights on the hangers.

10. irishluck09

Nov 24, 2019
    It is a a different hanger but upgraded. The OEM hanger causes to much stress on the bottom of the frame where its bolted. I don't want any hanger on this truck that bolts on the underside of the frame because it's just going to crack my frame again. Thats why im changing out the hanger to an improved style.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.