1998 Pete 379 3406E fuel hesitations.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Cindy, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Cindy

Cindy Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    Hi, I have a 1998 Peterbilt 379 3406E cat. When I'm driving it hesitates takes off, hesitates takes off. I changed the fuel filter. The fuel pressure idling is 75. At about 65mph the pressure is about 85. When using the cruise at 65mph it's fine. But if I take the cruise off it will start acting up. It also does it when I'm starting off from a stop. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    TPS throttle position sensor.

magoo68, Bean Jr. and swaan Thank this.
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Yes. New tps

5. Cindy

Cindy Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    Thank you, we will check it out.

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    If your going to order a new one phone mahk industries. They have the best deal I found for tps for a cat. You can look on there web site also and order off that.

7. Cindy

Cindy Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    Thank you. I will look that up.

8. Cindy

Cindy Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    We replaced the TPS as suggested and the truck is running good. Thank you all for the help.

PSM379, Roberts450 and swaan Thank this.
  9. mghauling

mghauling Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2012
    north miami beach, fl
    See if anyone here can help me.
    I have a 99 pete 379 with cat 3406e,day before Christmas while i was about to park the truck at idle i got a white smoke, i took the truck to a local mec since dealer was backup 2 weeks, he put on computer and said injector 3 and 5 was not good(unusual) so i went got brand new injectors from cat and put on .. once he changed the injectors we fire up the truck and the our surprise truck had same problem as before ,white smoke while idling.put computer again and it said that injector 6 was not good.. change and again the same problem but now says injector number 2.. so i purchase the injector harness under the cover and the one that goes to all sensors and still same problem.. so i call local dealer and ask if i could bring the truck to do a computer diagnostic.. well he did and it says injector 2 5 6 is not good.. i told him i already replace the injectors and ask him if maybe my computer was shut ... he said that all was ok.. but he would have to look foward and i already put lots of $$$$$ w previous mec.. so now i m out of otions s8nce a new computer cost $2900 with the core.... anyone can give any ideas? Thanks

10. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    These shops your using should have some accountability for the parts they are changing, maybe then they would get it right the first time. I run from shops that just throw parts at a problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.