2.64 with 13 speed double-over & 22.5 LP

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by O2000em1, Feb 9, 2024.

1. O2000em1

O2000em1 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2019
    swapped my diffs and i believe this is the setup i have need help with this please.
    unsure what old diff size i had but i now have 2.64s with a 13 speed
    the 2.64s use to be mated to my old truck cascadia with a 10 speed
    now i have 2.64s with a 13 speed and my fuel mileage has dropped 33%
    i am now getting 4.18 mpg with this new diffs (pulled of my old parts truck)
    the current truck i have has a isx with a 13 speed
    old truck was a dd13 with a 10 speed
    is this something i have have the dealer fix for me adjusting the computer info and resetting the parameter on it? my speedo is also off alot it marks im going 45 mph while im really going 60-61

(i got this from double yellow a user on this form from a old post )
    this is the setup i believe i have.. and it seems to match my speeds for the gears ive been using 11th gear dont ever seem to need 12 or 13th gear
    2.64 with 13 speed double-over & 22.5 LP:
    8th: 36-48
    9th: 43-56
    10th: 50-66
    11th: 59-77
    12th: 68-90
    13th: 81-105

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KDHCryo

KDHCryo Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2023
    I'd say you screwed it up pretty good.

No amount of computer work is going to fix your overgeared differential swap problem.

Go back to what you had and gain back your 33% drop in mileage.

Last Call Thanks this.
  4. O2000em1

O2000em1 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2019
    if i pair the 10 speed transmission u think it will fix my issue that 10 speed with that diff would get me 6.5-7.5 mpg i could have never imagine having such a low mgp giving the fact that my rpm was runing a lot lower.

5. KDHCryo

Sep 14, 2023
    No, no, it would probably make it even worse.

Why do you think you can just willy nilly swap gears, transmissions, differentials around just because the parts bolt together.

Multi-Billion dollar corporations (PACCAR, DAIMLER, VOLVO) spend billions of dollars analyzing engine RPM, Gearing ratios, etc.. for better mileage.

Hell, todays trucks have built in software the forward interface radar uses to gauge the hills of the US route you're driving down in Alabama at 0230 am at 65K lbs to tell the truck when to cruise in Eco mode.

Put it back to what it was before, because it don't work now. Then sell the truck and buy one already set up for what you were trying to accomplish.

6. O2000em1

O2000em1 Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2019
    don't see how it would make it worse (since that was paired other the other truck) only reason it got swapped was because the other one got damaged and this is the only option i had available financially that would get me back on the road. also don't see the need of selling the the truck to buy another.. i need it to run right yes i understand its not what it originally had but, like i said it was my only option available plus i had the parts.

7. KDHCryo

Sep 14, 2023
    Don't worry about it then, just embrace your new fuel mileage.

Lots of guy on here with largecars, classic Pete's and Kenny's getting 4.5 MPG all day long.

It would be really helpful to everyone if you told us what model year, engine, makes you swapped parts from and to...

EG, I took the diffs from a 1978 International Cabover and put them in my 2013 Coronado, because they bolted together.

8. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Computer work will help a little, but your driving will make a bigger difference, get used to not using your overdrives, I run 2.74's and an 18 speed and lo 24.5's and never use my overdrive's when I have a load or any kind of wind is cutting me. I changed from 3.55 and a 15 speed and my ifta everage went from 4.6-4.9 to 6.3 to 6.4 but the biggest thing that helped was learning how to drive the dam thing and not trying to run the rpm so dam low, the only way that works is if the engine was designed to run down that low and even then, they get better mileage but the engines don't last as long because of the heat you generate at low rpm. I never checked the gear ratios on a 13spd but you are probably looking at running a lot in direct and 1st over drive if at speed, I never even use final overdrive when bobtailing it just doesn't want to be there. The other thing you can do is go down in tire size if possible 255 70 22.5 is where I am going next when the 24.5's wear out, if I don't like those I will go to tall 22.5 because they are around the same size I currently run and more widely available then the 24.5's.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    first off are you taking into account the fact that the miles your truck shows are now way off? get your speedometer set correctly.

second you no longer need to use 12th or 13th gear. heck maybe not even 11th.
    getting good mpg isn't just about rpm. it's more about boost pressure and engine load.
    keeping those down is usually easier at higher rpm. within reason of course

10. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    You didn’t lose 33% if your odometer is off by 25% plus .. calculate your mileage by gps until you reset gear ratio value in ecm ..

Hammer166, Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I think you’re getting your mpg from what the truck is reporting or you’re basing it off the mileage the truck reads. I were you I’d fill up those tanks and get something to note down the mile markers you’ve been driving to calculate the true mileage you’re running then next time you top off your tanks note that down you will find out the true mileage. If the truck thinks you’re driving 45mpg when you’re really running 61 then of course the mpg reported by the truck is going to be way off. Heck 77% of 61 is about 47 is about close to what you’re seeing. I do think maybe your fuel mileage dipped just abit but not 33% maybe like 2%.

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.