200,000 Americans preparing for a 'once-in-a-generation' storm

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Chinatown, Dec 21, 2022.

1. CassND

CassND Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2021
    I remember that too. I was west of Fargo. Don’t remember the actual temp but, it was close to that and it must’ve been a tad windier there because we figured it was -98 with the wind chill.

For the heck of it, I went out to see if my car would start. It was stiff but, did start.

Crude Truckin', austinmike and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Was that the year those people died out by Hector field?

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont know, it might be being sensationalized, but if you bothered to glance at where theyre talking about, its buffalo NY, not people unfamiliar with cold and snow.

Crude Truckin', Capacity and bzinger Thank this.
  5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I was about to say it’s all relative, but hey old man beat me to the punch.

Crude Truckin' and bzinger Thank this.
  6. CassND

CassND Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2021

No. I don’t think so. That, I believe was in the early 90’s during a blizzard ?
    But, that was terrible with children dying. Sad.

Crude Truckin' and bzinger Thank this.
  7. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I even saw a whole row of snowplows parked at the weigh station on 75 just south of Atlanta yesterday

but I agree
    The news sensationalises every storm.
    Every storm is the worst one ever etc , just to get a few more eyeballs on the show or a few more clicks on their website so they can make a couple more dollars from the advertising .

we’ve all seen the fake news stories where the weather Channel guys are paddling around in a canoe and the locals are walking by in the background because the water is ankle deep

we’ve all seen the weather Channel guys acting like the wind is blowing 90 miles an hour while locals walk by in the background .
    So now no one pays any attention to it , so when a real actual storm comes , no one is Listening because they’ve cried wolf too many times

but the stupidity of people never stops amazing me

It gets cold every winter . Sometimes colder than others.
    If you have a job where you might be traveling with cold weather and snow , and where you could be traveling in two days from from Florida where’s its 70 to Minnesota where it’s 10 below , you should have a box of food and water and extra warm clothes , extra battery to charge your phone etc etc

you should at all times , have at least three days food and water in the truck, and a bucket and trash bags .

same at home .
    You should have a way to stay warm that doesn’t require electricity.
    Wood stove ,kerosene heater ,propane heater, gas logs in the fireplace , whatever.
    And a battery powered AM/FM radio .

if you don’t have that , and a week or two of canned food and granola bars etc , you’re an unprepared idiot .

8. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Plugged in and Diesel engine heater and my girls barely started this morning.... brrrrr

My cab heater went out to last night so she's chilly inside.... grrrr

Guess I'm sitting in the office till she warms up.

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 6.54.46 AM.png

This is brrrrrrrshiet

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  9. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Christmas Eve am 1989....heading home...passed FHP doin bout 10 mph just north of Fuller Warren Bridge downtown Jax...lil slushy on road but even bridge wasn’t greasy....
    Lil but later stopped at rest area south of town...just pulled in out front on curb...place was empty
    used facilities Called house..,was outta truck bout 15 minutes
    Walked out of bldg....FHP cruiser in front of truck
    As I walked up...he got out...looked over roof of cruiser and shouted
    “Are you INSANE?”
    Can’t you tell it’s SNOWING!”
    He was white as a ghost
    I casually told him “just another day in the office trooper”
    He then calmly asked me if driving in this really didn’t bother me?
    Told him no not really all part of the job and quickly went in to say....roads were actually much better than he thought....
    His reply was to just be careful
    I wished him a Merry Christmas and headed home
    One of my fonder memories in the last 45 winters.,.

PHOTOS: 'Freak' snowstorm hit Jacksonville 30 years ago

Concorde, buddyd157 and blakjak Thank this.
  10. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    We received 3 inches of Chicken Feathers in Ne Wisconsin , another poor. forecast from the media.
    Barely snowing now.

11. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Meh. Nothing burger.

I remember waking up in January 96 on the day I was supposed to return to base, loaded my things in my pickup, and fired it up to hear "this could be the blizzard of the century, folks!"

Normally I was much more responsible and would have left the day prior to return off leave, but I was the best man in my dad's wedding in Nashville the afternoon before the storm. I got up at 0400 to drive to Newport News, VA (Ft Eustis), but it was futile. I stopped at 0900 in Knoxville to ask for an extension, the NCOIC cussed me out and told me to get back to base. I forged ahead in that 2wd big block short bed 73 Chevy truck until the interstate was closed near Roanoke around 7 pm. I got the last available room at the Travelodge and called in again, where I was given a 24 hour extension on leave... that turned into 3 days due to the road closure.

Had I more game at the time (and/or no girlfriend), there were a pair of female Belmont students headed the other way back to school that shared a booth with me at the Waffle House who were game to hang out in their room... but alas, even though I planned on breaking up with my girlfriend the following week (and I did), I politely declined. Young and dumb, I guess...

North American blizzard of 1996 - Wikipedia

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.