200+ truck protest in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by AModelCat, Sep 25, 2019.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They're moving in, and they're pissed!

Protest convoy of up to 200 logging trucks rolling towards downtown Vancouver

A few of these folks are friends and former neighbours of mine. Forestry in BC is getting shafted. I hope 200+ logging trucks, lowbeds, crew cabs and service trucks clogging up the city streets pisses off those leaf-licking hippies in the Lower Mainland. Forestry and mining drive BC's economy and right now they really don't have much of either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    here is an excerpt, with a question or 2, if you don't mind.??

so i know that here in the states, new saplings are planted in place of cut down trees

don;t they replant up there as well???

and where is the wood going to..?? the states, china, canada..??

i am NOT a tree hugger, and i want REAL wood furniture, and a home built with wood, not concrete.

but if the canadian foresty industry is NOT replanting, do these logging companies have a leg to stand on..??

thanks in advance.

3noses, Canucklehead and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They do replant all the trees they cut down. Much of it is not at harvestable age yet. There is still a HUGE amount of unharvested timber in BC. The issue I gather is that it is cost prohibitive to harvest it as it is not easily accessible. There are stumpage fees for every tree cut and the fees are so high nowadays its just not profitable to log anymore.

I'm not exactly sure who the customer's are, my family and I haven't been involved in the logging industry for a few years now. The US was a big importer but charged us tariffs on it (softwood lumber agreement).

The main issue is BC government caters to the Lower Mainland and has a "F*** You" attitude towards small town BC (aka the rest of the province). Small cities in the province are dying off. The town/area I grew up in is doing all it can to try and get young families to move there. They won't because they can't support a family on $15/hour working at the local Tim Horton's part time. Most of us young folks are leaving as soon as we graduate high school. There's no future for us in these towns without a stable income.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I've never worked logging, but a friend that hauls in the Kootenays was explaining that due to the way stumpage is administered and applied--having been increased recently--many mills have either stockpiled or shut down.

Phantom Trucker and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Canada is "a nation of hewers of wood and drawers of water." Always have been and, to an extent, always will be. It is high time all the political overlords get on the same page with that concept and while pushing forward with new technologies, ensure that we don't abandon the people that got unto this point.

I love new technology. I love fresh water and clean air, but I also love being able to have roof over my head and food on my table.

7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Problem with BC is there's way too much government influence on everything. Its practically Canada's California. The outdoor enthusiast in me loves BC but if I can't make a living I may as well stay in Alberta. Even when Alberta's economy tanks, we're usually still better off than BC when they're in a boom.

8. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I don't care what logging trucks do, as long as the don't roll or lose their loads on civilized roads. A job is a job. So they haul trees. So what. What would the green idiots make their placards out of, or all their paper posters.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2019
    Reason for edit: No political discussion outside of politics.
    buddyd157 Thanks this.
  9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    BC has many more problems than just stupid teachers. I became an Albertan literally 2 days after I graduated in BC. I'd love to move back but the only way I could ever afford it is if I paid for a house there in cash. Wages there just won't cover the bills and leave a guy any retirement savings or fun money. Work just to scrape by.

Phantom Trucker Thanks this.
  10. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I am out of place here don't you know A or would that be Ah? Just looking around the sight. I have never been much above I95 except around the lakes.
    Reminds me some of the state of Jefferson. Not an actual state but you can google it.
    They are regulated by large groups of people living in a highly populated areas far away from them. They know nothing about their way of life. Never grew a garden and do not know what a Victory Garden is. Can
    not can their own food or skin a deer. Never had a fresh rabbit or fish for dinner.
    Then they tell us we should be vegans or vegitarians. Have they even ever had to supply a meal they produced themself? However they manage to pass legislation that imposes their belief on the rest of us.
    I enjoy looking at what you folks are doing some times. Cheers!

not4hire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.