2000 Freightliner throwout bearing

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by bucku, Aug 16, 2008.

1. bucku

bucku Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2007
    lowndesboro,al
    I Just leased on with a company and i have a real bad feeling about my truck,i picked it up from there local truck shop and the air horn did not work,the lube sticker on the windshield was not changed and the 6 of the tires ended up being bad or not legal.Now i have a noise coming from what i think is the throwout bearing when i push in on the clucth.They said (the local truck shop) that they did a PM & DOT Insp. but how can this be when i greased it today after only having it for 1 week and pulling only 3 loads.What do i need to do here please help me with this noise problem please.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SPIKE 64

SPIKE 64 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    San Antonio tx.
    It sounds like you got stuck with somebody's old problems, Some of these un-reputable shops will tell you they did an inspection when all they did was slap on a sticker and hand you a paper that says so, What I would suggest you do is take it to a shop with a good reputation possibly even a dealership. I'm not saying that all small shops are ripoff's but do your homework ask some of your local haulers where they go for budget repairs.As far as the throwout bearing well their life span is unpredictable and it seems like it will go out on you at the worse possible time,you'r probably looking a complete clutch job($1000 to $1500)parts and labor.

4. bucku

bucku Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2007
    lowndesboro,al
    spike64 thanks for the reply i greased the bearing while the motor was running and it made the noise a lot better but my question is why is it making a noise when a push in on the clutch

5. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    because you are putting pressure on the bearing, It is wore out,get it replace while you can still make it to the shop tow bills are expensive.

make sure that the bearing gets greased after that, once it gets dry from lack of grease its too late to save it.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  6. SPIKE 64

SPIKE 64 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    San Antonio tx.
    Like "gearjammer-2000" said it's WORE-OUT,probably from poor or no maintanance he is also right it may cost you more when you tack on an unexpected tow charge to the repair bill.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  7. Mechanic

Mechanic Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Barstow, CA
    Its possible you may need a clutch brake. If you dont lube (or in some cases lube to much) the throwout bearing it will fail. But you need to check clutch adjustment and the clutch brake and see if it helps. If not you will need a throwout bearing :(

8. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    Noisy release bearings are actually fairly common on trucks in rough service or ones with negligent maintenance issues.It may last a long time like that.Try a good high-temp grease and service the release bearing while a helper works the clutch pedal with the engine running.

9. bucku

bucku Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2007
    lowndesboro,al
    Thanks for all the replys,can you change the throw out bearing with out chaning the clutch? im being told it comes all in 1 package-check clutch adjustment and the clutch brake and see if it helps-it does not make any grinding noise when i put it in gear so i think it all ready as be adjusted.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.