2001 Freightliner 132XL

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by bor, Jan 24, 2008.

1. bor

bor Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Cuero, Tx.
    So I bought this 1 prev. owner 2001 freightliner xl with a series 60 detroit.
    No maintenance records.... 640k on the ecm......No Owners Manual.

The truck is in great shape tho.
    My question is .. #1 how can I get a hold of a 2001 Owners and maintenance Manuals.
    Freightliner website only offers updated owners manuals and they are not specific to the Classic Xl's.

#2 any recommendations on types of oil best suited for the series 60 and other maintenance tips, etc..
    I have heard that if these detroits are not "Well Maintained" they can be a serious Problem.

#3 Any good Advice is appreciated!!
    :biggrin_2556:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    get the manual straight from freightliner. they are not cheap but you get what you pay for. It won't be specific to the classic it doesn't need to be. Essentially you classic i the same and a FLD, etc with a different hood

bor Thanks this.
  4. BulldogExp

BulldogExp Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Muskogee,OK
    Ditto,MedicineMan.Detroits call for Delvac oil.Never had a problem.Put in 2gal of Lucas when you do an oil change.Costly,yes,but worth it in he long run.Get a couple of spare alternator adjustment arms,the bolts for them,and a couple of nuts to fit.They are notorious for breaking and stripping out.That is if you have that set-up.And I always keep a couple of the wide belts just in case.Had a million one on mine before tradein,and never did anything to the motor itself.

bor Thanks this.
  5. Desperado

Desperado <strong>The Bandit</strong>

Feb 16, 2008
    Long Way Home .......
    Nice Truck

When you get the oil changed have a sample sent out for testing . It could save you repairs and down time as well .

:biggrin_255:

6. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    For oil sampling blackstone will send you the kit/s just ask for the amount you want. Be sure to also send a sample of rears and tranny, so ask for at least 4 kits. They charge $22.50ea. Since you have no records getting sampling on all driveline components would be my first move. Even with records I want to know the condition of everything.

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    problem is with a "new to you" truck is that you don't know how many miles are on the fluids. I prefer to change them and have them tested later when I know the mieages. At least on tranny and rear ends. Engine oil is a little more predictable on mileage but not always

8. 7mouths2feed

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Unless the fluid is visably new, wouldn't it benefit you to know if there are any questionable conditions? Then change fluids and retest later at a specific milage? According to Blackstones FAQ
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]How long should the oil stay in the engine before I sample it? [/SIZE][/FONT]​
    • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif][SIZE=-1]We like to see at least 500-1000 miles to get good data. If the engine has a problem, it may very well show up with fewer miles than that, but more miles are preferred. [/SIZE][/FONT]

9. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    ya but problems will show up in units which are directly related to the length the fluid was in there. If your oil shows a certain ppm of fuel in it then it means a whole different thing at 500 miles then it does at 100k miles

10. 7mouths2feed

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    I see your point. I guess I'm too much like my dad, Anal :biggrin_2555:.
    I have to know everything about anything I buy new or used. :biggrin_255:

11. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I'm not saying not to do one. I would do it too. Of course the dealers know this and if they know of a problem they wil just change the fliud before they put it up for sale.
    I'm just saying for your own record keeping you really need to know the mileage to be able to interpret the results

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.