2001 T800 wiper arm upgrade to J-hook style? is there such thing?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Green461, May 23, 2021.

1. Green461

Green461 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    This is a 1 piece windshield where the wipers pivot on the sides and meet in the middle and park one on top and one underneath.
    Hinges on my wiper arms are worn so going to replace them, they have the "saddle" type mount where the wiper is flat and there is 1 bolt that hold the wiper to the arm.... no one carries these wipers and is a dealer specific crap thing very horrible. I carried a spare and they are worn so they hit each other and lock up, destroyed each other and no one sells them except dealers.
    Part numbers for these arms are right - GS4858 and left - GS4857

I found some other kenworth arms but cant find out if they will actually work or not? They have the J-hook mount style so any wiper from any store will work. Not sure if the mount is the same though.
    Right - R23-1035-13 and left - R23-1035-12

The dealer did not know... But they also said there was an adapter that bolts on the old style that allows you to run the J-hook style wipers.... he did not have or know part number and my search brought up nothing.. anyone ever hear of this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Not sure what the actual part # or name is, but ta sells the conversion kit for like 20$.

Just did new arms on my brothers 01 w900 last weekend

With your new arms, make sure to but new acorn nuts and the knurled thing that fits inside the wiper assembly, theyre dirt cheap even at kw, the wiper assembly, not so much, was 177$ apeice, im sure i coulda shopped a better price but i needed them then when i had the truck, not in a week or 2

Green461 Thanks this.
  4. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI

I went in a TA and a Loves looking for blades or adapters.... none of them ever seen a wiper like mine. I could not find anything to work, blades or adapters.
    im not sure what knurled thing you speak of, i havnt disassembled yet. Going to order arms and motor online, cant find a diagram with anything like what you speak of... pry have to wait till parts show up, take apart, then go to dealer.

5. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    I think i see what you are saying with the knurled piece, is the factory one tapered or straight sides? I wonder if i can change that and then use new style arms... i might have to drive up to the dealer and make them print me some diagrams and check parts.

6. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Thats from raneys, not sure what your arm looks like exactly but both my brother and my trucks were the tapered insert.its basically what you use to set how far one way or another the blade goes

Highly recommend a small gear puller, i used a small valve stem compressor i had from working on my subaru or camry

Attached Files:

7. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Perfect!!
    Thank you!!

8. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    Actually those dont look like they will work either, says only for use with "scrubblade" wipers... ive never even seen that style mount. I dont think there is a place in my town that even sells those brand wipers. I'd be stuck in same boat, hunting for place that carry wipers. I want to use the standard ones every car and truck use so I can switch to winter wipers in winter and back, and if one breaks can buy anywhere.

9. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    As you wish, at present you can only get the bolt through wipers from kw, at 40-50$ apeice, i can buy a spare set and just have em in the truck ahead of time, not to mention most tas carry them

10. Green461

Mar 22, 2019
    Southern WI
    They are like $6 a piece at the KW dealer in Rockford IL, same in Madison WI. I had to buy some in TX and were $13 a piece at the KW dealer there. They are not expensive, just hard to find and only at dealers. I will likely buy a few pair i guess if i cant find the right adapter. My arms were loose and even my spares got destroyed... so new arms should fix that.

11. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Fair enough, if your stock kw stuff is cheaper than mine, sounds like a plan, wonder if its anything to do with yours being any newer and therefore more available than mine or perhaps the dealers just hate me :p

For me, i like the quick connect ability but keep my stock kws in my bunk in case

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.