2005 frieghtliner columbia gauge cluster

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by ggreseth, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    pablo,

You comments are great.....

But can you speak english and not techie....

Or else provide pictures / Diagrams.

And I have been a mechanic in the Army for 14 years working on bradley vehicles.

And no, my issue is not resolved. I was hoping it was low A/C freon as had been commented on in one of these threads. I was a pound low actually also. But it still occurs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Yep, I gonna find MB PLD description. Really I know all by heart (LOL, 8 pin power supply, start and CAN connector and 55 pin engine wiring connector). But I gonna find documents in Mercedes WIS system to let U understand how does it work

4. askbob

askbob Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Bluegrass
    My '05 Columbia with a Mercedes gauge cluster acts up after it rains. I recently bought this truck and I'm trying to figure everything out.
    Was driving down the road and into a rain storm. After a few min, my speedo, tach, oil pres, and water temp went blank and the mileage read 'no data'. Fuel gauge and air press still worked. The red warning indicator next to the override button was also lit. A few hours after the rain quit, everything was back to normal. Everything else worked fine and ran fine.
    Well a few days later, I went to get into the truck while a massive rainstorm was underway. I noticed the red warning indicator light was lit even with the key off. Started and no gauges. It was at that time I noticed a steady stream of water running down the inside of my windshield! Running straight down where the main wiring harnesses are on the firewall. Looked into defrost vents and noticed water was standing In there.
    Definitely going to fix the water leak problem. How hard is it to access the firewall wiring plugs from the inside? I'm sure there has to be corrosion in there that'll cause more problems.

5. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I cant upload file here. I can send it by E-mail

6. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    any e-mail addr to send manual?

7. askbob

askbob Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Bluegrass
    Just discovered I have no power to my AC compressor when my gauges quit. Display reads 'no data'.
    Where should I start looking first?

8. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    go into the engine compartment.

On the firewall directly under your overflow tank/brake valve is a solenoid.

The wire that comes off that solenoid and goes to the main harness should be about at a bend. This is THE main harness that goes from the ECM on the side of the engine back up to the firewall to confirm.

If you wiggle that MAIN harness, you should be able to make the fault come and go as well as kick in the A/C.

wireharness.jpg

9. askbob

askbob Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Bluegrass
    Thanks MN. Tried that with no avail. Did a little more searching online and found that these trucks when equipped with a Qualcomm, are wired into the 'data link' part of the truck. If any corrosion sets into the plug area that goes into the dome antenna, it will cause problems like I was having. I disconnected all of the old Qualcomm harness and my problem is resolved. The A/C control also runs through the 'data link' wiring.

10. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    A/C goes through the ECM.

We stripped out the Qualcom/PeopleNet harness on my truck Monday. It was preventing the truck from communicating with the computer software automatically. After we removed it, worked just fine.

If you go to the ECM harness, you follow it, there are a couple of spots that have sharp bends to it. Grab the harness at those points and wiggle it too.

I ordered my harness this morning to fix my gages/ A/C issue. I could get it to repeat for my by grabbing the harness at the spot in the picture.

When it gets bad enough, your engine will start to cut out like someone turned the key off and back on.

As I understand it, the wires chaff and rub inside the harness and then start to short together. I haven't tore into it and won't until I get new harness in hand on Thursday IN the shop back home.

11. askbob

askbob Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Bluegrass
    It seems the wiring in Columbias is quite screwy!
    Never had ANY issues with my Classic.

My auto shift got out of sync last night so I pulled off to reset it undoing the batteries. Put all the connections back, trans was finally in neutral, but then engine wouldn't start throwing an ECM code plus no interior lights. Disconnected everything a couple more times(1 am on side of road), motor cranked over and started then the interior lights came on. No blown fuses anywhere. Not sure wtf happened.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.