2005 Volvo VNL with 2nd gen Eaton Fuller 3 pedal autoshift

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by roundel, Nov 14, 2017.

1. roundel

roundel Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2015
    2005 Volvo VNL with D12 engine and 3 pedal Eaton Fuller 2nd gen Tranny is acting up(hesitating to go in some of the gears sometimes). I called Eaton and they told me to test is in manual mode and I did it but still hesitating to get to 5th or 10th gear( eventually will go in but it takes 3,4 seconds) . Eaton service told me that is most likely Tranny ECM. There is NO codes in Transmission diagnostic and there is NO codes on Tranny shifter(when I try to Retrieve it either ). There are also no codes in Engine diagnostic, voltage is solid 13.7 system air pressure is good at all times. I cleaned battery conections(batteries are fairly new and tested), all connections between Tranny and batteries cleaned and ziptied.
    The only codes that I have are in Vehicle ECU and they are INACTIVE :
    *SAE J1708/J1587 data link Data erratic( MID 144 SID 250 FMI 2)
    *Retarded control set switch Mechanical fault (MID 144 PSID 1 FMI 7).
    First code I've had for awhile and even though I've changed all speed sensors somehow its still showing up.
    Second code is new and I am wondering what it can be. Did a Google search and Volvo code search but nothing is showing up. Any help would be appreciated.
    P.s. Truck was put on computer to retrieve codes and nothing is showing up

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundel

roundel Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2015
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    being that it is 5 and 10 this is the same gear there is a small possibility that that particular gear has an issue with the sliding clutch. other that this the only thing i can suggest is to make sure all connections going up to cab the other thing i would check is to see the connections behind your driver seat a lot of times they build corrosion in there and this is where the datalink for speed comes up to the engine. the third option i know weller is able to test your XY shifter and the transmission ecu have had to do this a few times and they will let you know if something is not right i think they charged me like 150 for both if i'm not mistaken it takes them a couple of days that the only down side. but my guess would be something is going on with that gear in particular and it's not catching the right timing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.