2006 4900ex conversion to rv hauler

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by overkillinit, Mar 25, 2020.

1. overkillinit

overkillinit Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2020
    Looking for some advice about converting a 2006 Western star to a RV hauler. I have always loved Starcars.
    so one thing I'm wondering about, and can't find, it the degree of steering lock. I'm gong to be in campgrounds and need to maneuver. looked an an older Pete and found out it was only 38'

Any other advice would be appreciated.

plan on putting a DIY bed over the tandems. ET air hitch

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Save a ton of money and buy an RV. These conversions can be a money pit. And much less storage than an RV.

I crawled the WS website nothing as far as wheel cut angle listed

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    tommymonza Thanks this.
  4. t76turbo

t76turbo Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2015
    British Columbia
    I just bought an 07 4900 SB and overall length with RV chassis is 38 feet. I’m not sure where the cut in degree is but it’s not that good. I have a Volvo 730 and 780 and they turn much much tighter. Nothing beats a class 8 as an RV hauler no matter what tractor you choose!
    I have a class A motorhome and I chose to build an 06 Western star because it is a much tougher truck. And my Volvo only hauls a travel trailer on pavement (rv hauler), the Western Star is built to get me into the hunting areas and off-road places I want to go. A standard rv would blow apart on the roads I travel

5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I drove a newer preemission western star Harrison built glider for a 150 thousand miles hauling tankers.

That truck will beat you to death if you don’t have at least 20,000 sitting on the drives

I absolutely hated driving home with a empty tank and don’t even think about bobtailing

And it has the turning radius of the Titanic. The SB is bad enough with all that nose hanging out in front that you can’t see where it is.

If you were absolutely stuck on a class 8 I would buy a Volvo and install a aftermarket air ride front axel

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.