Please read full post before replying! Thank you!
- Lacking power on takeoff/ struggles to get up to speed. Cant get over 45-50
- Low boost reading low for what it should be according to manual
- Exhaust back pressure reading weird on scanner. Engine will run noticeably different if unplugged.(check engine light comes on when unplugged)
- Engine: dt466 egr 245hp (not dt466e was after the “e” version and before the maxxforce)
- Turbo: Vgt s300 series (fresh overhaul, engine had running issues prior to turbo over haul)(also spins freely)
- ICP @ idle: actual~800, scanner~800
- ICP @ WOT no load not driving: actual~2800, scanner ~2800
- ICP @ WOT loaded not driving: actual~3500, scanner~3500
- ICP @WOT loaded while driving: actual~4000, scanner ~3900
- Boost pressure loaded while driving: actual 15 scanner 17-19
- Fuel delivery pressure @ idle: actual ~56 scanner 56
- EGR: blocked off for diagnosis
- Boost leaks: no (pressure checked charge air cooler with piping)
- Exhaust back pressure @ idle: actual~0 scanner ~12
- Exhaust back pressure loaded not driving: actual 25 scanner ~35
Dtc codes: no engine codes. Does have body codes but i think are irrelevant?
- Tested voltages at EBP connecter all passed
- Tested resistance at EBP connector all passed
- Turbo passes bounce test
Shop manual with specs: Navistar International DT 466 Diagnostic/Troubleshooting Manual (Page 608 of 658) | ManualsLib
need help this is stumping me pretty bad.
Thank you for any help!
2006 dt466 egr low power low boost
Page 1 of 2
Check and see if it has a catalyst muffler. They didn't have a dpf, but they were equipped with sort of a catalytic converter inside a normal ish looking muffler. Mine had "catalyst" embossed on the shell. They tend to face plug, especially if before the engine repairs it was burning oil or coolant.
The grid heater is also prone to plugging (if equipped). I disassemble ours from time to time to clean them. I've had them blocked to the point the intake was pushing air thru a hole the size of a walnut.
If there is a thumping noise thru the intake inspect the valvetrain. The dogbones that align the lifters break, the lifters turn and wipe out the cam.
Can you post the last eight of the VIN or PM it to me? What is the fuel pressure under load?
Remove the filter cap and filter and have a look down inside the filter housing. Is there lots of
rust and grit around the bottom of the housing? If so clean it out well there is also a strainer
under a screw on cap on the bottom of the filter housing clean that as well. The dirt and rust
get into the pressure regulator/orifice and cause the pressure to drop. 56 PSI is a little low
if I remember correctly.
At the bottom of the inside of the filter housing towards the rear of the engine you will see a
shiny little orifice. Take 7mm allen socket and remove it and blow it out and put it back in.
Full out of frame over haul.
As far as being out of time, engine starts and runs to full rpm with no problem.
doesnt fire out of intake or exhaust
Compression is even sounding when cranking
Blow by is at a pretty normal amount
Page 1 of 2