2007 Freightliner century with Eaton fuller clutch problems

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Moephilly1, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Moephilly1

Moephilly1 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2016
    hello guys I have a 2007 Freightliner century dd engine. 10 speed Eaton fuller today I was trying to put the truck in first gear. But all of a sudden the clutch pedal became kind of hard and the transmission just grinded and wouldn’t go into gear. Any thoughts of what the problem might be thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Typically I would say your clutch brake needs an adjustment which is easy but you are saying that your clutch pedal went hard. The first thing you will want to do is remove the clutch inspection plate. Have some one work the clutch back and forth while you see what’s going on in there and see if something looks a miss while they are working the clutch

4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    What cam said. Also check linkage and freeplay. Did freeplay change right when this occured?

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Starting to think bushing came apart on clutch linkage from pedal to the trans. Not allowing pedal to be depressed all the way to engage the clutch brake. Would also explain pedal getting hard

6. Moephilly1

Oct 6, 2016
    That makes sense I appreciate it cam. My mechanic said my clutch broke and it needs to be replaced I don’t know what he means by that.

7. Moephilly1

Oct 6, 2016
    Hey stillWurkin No free play didn’t change. It stayed the same

8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    How many little pieces of metal fell out when you removed the inspection plate?

9. Moephilly1

Oct 6, 2016
    Hi pmdriver I haven’t removed the plate yet because the truck is at the shop but I feel like the mechanic is trying to get he’s talking about I need a new clutch. It was working perfectly just yesterday and all of a sudden it don’t want to go in gear

10. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    iv had the same thing happen basically a spring broke and wedged itself in the clutch.

Hulld, Xzachtly and whoopNride Thank this.
  11. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    You will want to be watching this "mechanic" closely, some are not very good at the job and just start throwing parts at something since that dang computer told em to.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.