2008 volvo overheats during parked regen

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Volvo 83, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Volvo 83

Volvo 83 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2021
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post so my apologies if I mess something up.

like the title says I have a 2008 vnl 670 with a D13 that overheats whenever I request a parked regen. It has overheated in the mountains before pulling 40k+ but other than that no overheating issues.

I have reached the point that it’s in level 3 requesting manual regen but I can’t complete the regen due to it overheating and shutting off. I removed dpf filters and had cleaned manually but truck still wants a parked regen and still overheats. Changed thermostat and same issue.

any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Even with 40k you shouldn't be overheating on a climb. Maybe you need to clean out your radiator. I had to pull the A/C condenser, then separate the CAC and the radiator. After I blew everything out I had about a half an inch of crud on the floor. Didn't overheat anytime after that.

OTR05 and Doealex Thank this.
  4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I'm just curious is the fan coming on when the temperature gets hot enough to activate the fan

lester Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Plugged radiator. Antifreeze, over the years, I think makes silica buildup inside the tubes. They used to "rod" the tubes, but that's when radiators had some meat to them.You can try a hose through the fins, I don't recommend a power wash, and then some air pressure, but sounds like a plugged radiator inside.

OTR05 Thanks this.
  6. Volvo 83

Volvo 83 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2021
    It was a bad fan clutch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.