2009 prostar isx 600k miles manual trans

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by laredotxfranck, Jun 10, 2018.

1. laredotxfranck

laredotxfranck Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    yesterday I was driving my truck and when I was shifting gears I felt the tractor on higher rpm, also the truck runs at speed of 20mph without me touching the acceleration pedal. Any suggestions

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    What RPM is it at all the time?

4. laredotxfranck

Jun 10, 2018
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    So let me get this straight. You have a NASCAR engine in that thing running 9000 rpm and while in neutral it goes 20 mph?

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  6. laredotxfranck

Jun 10, 2018
    900rm it drives at 900rpm with out me touching the pedal, sorry about that

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    LOL, I figured. Some Cummins can have idle speed adjustment turn on and changed by your cruise control set/resume switch. Sounds like your idle speed is simply set to 900. Should be 600-700. See if you can toggle it back down.

8. laredotxfranck

Jun 10, 2018
    how can I do that, the cruise control is off

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Cruise/PTO is different. This actually idle adjustment and all you have to do is hit Resume or set over and over until the RPM comes down to what you want. Engine should be running with park brake applied and cruise turned OFF. I can't remember if resume or set decreases the speed or not so you'll just to play with it and see. Hopefully this works.

10. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Is there or was there ever a PTO installed?

If so it may have been configured to raise the idle when the PTO is engaged, this would have been set up by the PTO control switch wired to the computer.

So, if you have a PTO the ground wire to the computer could be grounding even when the PTO is disengaged, making the computer think the PTO is always engaged and keeping the idle high.

Or, if you don't have a PTO but the truck did at one time, and you repurposed the old PTO switch to do something else; the use of that switch would still be telling the computer to fast idle.

If the former or the latter is the case you can correct the idle by disconnecting the wire that sends a ground from the switch to the computer.

If you have a PTO this "fix" will disable the fast idle feature, if you want that then it is best to just replace the failing switch; if it is a repurposed switch then no worries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.