2009 Volvo CM871 Vapor locked, need help getting it started.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Andystrans, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Andystrans

Andystrans Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2018
    Need help bleeding a isx in a 2009 Volvo. Someone drained my tanks while truck was parked at a pilot over the weekend. I’ve put fuel in both tanks, confirmed no blockage from tank pickup to lines. Can hear the prime pump going. Tried bleeding at the pump ball valves (2 total) with no luck. Any advice from the experts on how to bleed the system?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Key on till primer pump times out. Key off, then back on till it times out again.

Listen to the primer. There is a very noticeable tone difference when it picks up fuel.

Repeat the first part till you hear it pick up, then crank

YardMule89, nikmirbre, Feedman and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Andystrans

Dec 28, 2018
    Thank you for the quick response. I’ve key cycled over 30 times at this point. Each time waiting for the primer to stop. I’ve also hit it with 2 cans of starter fluid ( I know not the best practice but desperate). It runs on the starting fluid but won’t stay running. No fuel coming from the bleed valves. I can hear the primer pumping air when I press in on the bleed ball but still no fuel. Would it help to pressurize the tank via the breather tube?

5. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    It can, but in general they're not that hard to start. You have something else going on.

How much fuel in each tank? No guessing either, measure with a tape or yard stick.

6. Andystrans

Dec 28, 2018
    25 gallons in the driver side, 15 gallons in the passenger side. I was able to undo the lines going to the tank and suck fuel with a heater hose pushed against the tank so I know there is enough. Truck ran for about 30 seconds when I first started it before it shut down from pulling air. Added fuel using a 5 gallon canister and making multiple trips to the pumps. Tanks are 100 gal each.

7. Big Road Skateboard

May 2, 2021
    Need to measure that right tank. You usually suck air below 4". 15 gallons may not be enough if it was dry

nikmirbre and Andystrans Thank this.
  8. Andystrans

Dec 28, 2018
    It was dry, I will add 5 gallons and measure it tomorrow. However I did pull fuel from both tanks with a heater hose pressed against the port for the feed line, to make sure I had enough fuel in the tanks and no restrictions.
    I do appreciate your responses. Been at it for about 6 hrs today.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  9. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    One way to eliminate fuel level is put a hose in your 5 gallon bucket . I’m with others that it’s still too low in tanks . Hopefully they sucked up crap from the bottom and have issues .

nikmirbre and Big Road Skateboard Thank this.
  10. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Make sure it has plenty of fuel. Then with primer pump running push in on the center of the compucheck valve that it at the top right and see if you get fuel out. Watch yourself as it will spray towards you. If you have fuel there then you can do the same thing at the main fuel pump compucheck as someone is turning the engine over. Sometimes that will get it going along with a whiff of ether while pressing in. Same thing watch out for spraying fuel.

BoxCarKidd, nikmirbre and Andystrans Thank this.
  11. Andystrans

Dec 28, 2018
    I’ve pushed in the valve with the pump going. First time it had a good amount of air pressure and a bit of air/fuel sprayed out but now just hear the primer pump pumping air when I push in on the valve, no fuel. IMG_4574.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.