2010 Cascadia, DD15, Hard Morning Start

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by OneTwentyOne, May 11, 2019.

1. OneTwentyOne

OneTwentyOne Light Load Member

May 19, 2016
    Good day. My 2010 Cascadia is having a morning hard start issue, I believe it might be the fuel line draining back into the fuel tank. I believe I am losing prime.

Normally, in the morning it starts after two / three engine turns, now it takes about 10 - 15 engine turns and if it is cold more turns.

Is there a way that I can troubleshoot the fuel return line or the check valve on this engine? Almost forgot - where is the check valve on this engine located?

thanks,

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    do you have davco filter ?
    most likely gallery bypass valve in fuel filter housing is leaking.
    take a look here ---> losing fuel pressure on my 2011 DD15 Cascadia

4. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I saw a fuel system diagram on one of the posts on this sight. But I haven’t been able to find it. I do remember, there is more than just A check valve that could be causeing your issue.

But when I’ve encountered this issue on DD15’s it’s always been the drain back plug O-rings on the fuel filters. Basicly the test for this is, “did it start at a Fuel Filter Replacement?”

mhyn Thanks this.
  5. OneTwentyOne

May 19, 2016
    Good morning, as a matter of fact yes it did. I just had a PM done, with fuel filter change. And it started since, so what is the fix? Replace the o-rings on the fuel filter,

I’ve been doing my due diligence and have started a list of possible culprits:

Gallery bypass on fuel housing
    Check valve on Davco housing
    Bypass valve on the Davco housing

My due diligence also included help from the forum, thanks to all.

Thanks

6. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Normally with the 2 filter system we find the coalescence filter ( the big one on the side of the motor) has a finger that sticks out the bottom with a o-ring on it. Usually it’s cut. Just remove the filter, replace the O-ring, lube it with an extra slick compound. Vaseline may work, but the filter kits come with a extra slick lube that does a better job.

If you have the 3 filter system (older models) the I believe the button is in the bottom side. It’s been a couple years since I’ve looked at one so I’m alittle foggy on them.

And I’m I haven’t seen the DAVCO filter set ups. So I won’t be much help there.

mhyn Thanks this.
  7. OneTwentyOne

May 19, 2016
    Here is the DAVCO 482 Pro filter that is installed on my truck. Pages 28 and 30 give you a view breakdown of the bypass valve and check valve.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.