2011 Prostar brake lights come on with low air pressure.

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by hammerstrap, Jun 11, 2018.

1. hammerstrap

hammerstrap Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Ok this has me stumped. I have worked on this quite a bit and haven't figured it out. The truck is running and is ready to go down the road and everything is ok with the brake lights. When the truck loses air to say 80 psi the brake lights come on. When the truck is aired up again the lights go off again unless you apply them. I have chased the harness from front to back and it is good. I have replaced the brake light switch behind the gauge cluster and that didn't change anything. I unplugged all the switches behind the cluster and unplugged the body controller and the brake lights were still on. I unplugged the firewall connections and it went out so it is in the cab somewhere. Any thoughts before I take it to the dealer?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Interesting problem, but the laptop would be the first tool I grab to see what signals the body controller is getting. Get the brake lights to stay on then unplug your J1 connector on the body controller. J1 is what powers the brake lights and they should go out. If they stay on, that means the brake lights are getting back feed power from something else.

hammerstrap Thanks this.
  4. hammerstrap

Oct 23, 2012
    Laptop would be nice and I've looked at what to buy with a varied stable of trucks but haven't pulled the trigger. I've pretty much given up being able to find the issue myself. I will post what the issue was when it comes back. I have one in visiting to get the idle timer shut off so this will be a bit yet.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. hammerstrap

Oct 23, 2012
    They updated the body controller thinking they had it. They were wrong. Today they put on a test body controller and programmed it to the truck and supposedly a new body controller is the answer. Two techs with a laptop and 8 hours.

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Why is you air getting down to 80lbs?

7. hammerstrap

Oct 23, 2012
    That's where the brake lights would come on when the truck was shut off and sat for a couple hours.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    There are issues with the wiring harness being tied too tightly around that kick panel. This pulls too tightly on the connectors which can stress and break the motherboard inside. Also, if you have any windshield leaks, this is a common spot for water to run and get inside and corrode the body controller and connectors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.