2011 prostar premium regen how to

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Rooster1291979, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    These engines are computer controlled with many variables, parameters and strategies. Engine operation, performance and reliability can be significantly improved by making changes only to operating software in the ECM. It is just like you computer at home. Windows XP, Vista, 7 or whatever program on your personal computer requires updates from time to time for improvements. It is the same for the ECM for your engine. Not all updates result in changes you will notice, but they are always trying their best to give you the best product they can. Sometimes engineers find the engine operation is not what they expected, even though it went through "extensive testing". Changes don't necessarily mean anything is wrong with the engine. The changes are made to better suit real world conditions. Some changes are like the duration of a regen, or the starting temp of the doser injector turning on. Sometimes they find sensors are too sensitive and log codes when in fact nothing is wrong. Other times there is just some simple software conflicts with other equipment such as ABS or satellites that also communicate with the engine. Keeping your engines software up to date is as important as changing the oil. Most updates are released as required. It is not uncommon to see 5 or 6 updates a year! If you haven't had an update in the last 6 months, regardless if you have a Cummins or Maxxforce, you should ask the next time the truck is in the shop.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CMCtech

CMCtech Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Most of my fleet I work on has this issue. If the regen doesnt run from the truck DONT do a manual regen, when you hook up to a computer and do a manual regen it runs hotter and burns up the temp sensors in there oxidation catalyst and dpf filter, 9 times out of 10 I have replaced the temp sensors and reset the dpf and oxidation catalyst and the issue is fixed.

muff Thanks this.
  4. allan82782

allan82782 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2012
    va
    CMCtech,

You gave me a idea on my dpf issues I been having fault code 1972 (exhaust temperature #3 high) and the dealer cleaned out the doser and (suppose to clean the DOC) then replaced the #3 temp sensor and cleared out that code (after my 2nd visit at the dealership) but 70 miles down the road my warning engine light comes on again for the 4 time for the same reason so Im going some where else and have them to replace the other 2 temp sensors and reset the dpf and doc.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Doing a manual regen is part of the diagnostic process to see what is happening and where during a regen.

allan, your problem may be just wiring related. Typically 1972, (Cummins ISX) points to a mechanical issue with either the doser injector or the DOC. Normal regens occur with the DOC completing the "burn" process by the catalytic reaction with the fuel sprayed in by the doser. The burning increases exhaust gas temps to bake the DPF to about 1100 degrees. Fault 1972 occurs when the DOC is not properly "burning" the fuel mix and excess raw fuel is trapped in the DPF. The DOC is partially working, causing a partial temp increase, but most of the burn is happening inside the DPF, not the DOC. This is why the #3 temp gets too hot. The DOC precious metal coating does wear out after a certain time. Or, the coating is plugged, or the surface is stained. DOC cleanings aren't always effective to get all contamination out. If the precious metal coating is destroyed or worn away you have to replace it. Unfortunately, the DPF is not designed to with stand the temps created when the burn is happening inside it. The inner material will be damaged and lead to cracking and or premature plugging. Another possible cause is a partially plugged doser injector tip. Instead of spraying a nice cone shaped spray of fuel, it just kinda dribbles it in and raw fuel just gets dumped into the exhaust, soaking everything.

CMCtech Thanks this.
  6. allan82782

Dec 2, 2012
    va
    Heavyd,
    Thanks for that information I made an appt. To take it to a cummins dealer thrusaday do you think I can get this last load completed without damaging anything round trip its 600 mile light load?

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It will abort or not allow a regen if the temps are too high. You should be fine.

8. allan82782

Dec 2, 2012
    va
    thanks again and I will keep you posted when I return.

9. allan82782

Dec 2, 2012
    va
    Thanks for the information again I just completed my load safely and didn't have any problems with the truck even though my warning engine light is still on but is going in the shop in the m.orning so they will hopefully straighten it out thanks again

Heavyd Thanks this.
  10. CMCtech

CMCtech Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2013
    :biggrin_25526:If it was the fuel in the filters it would throw a code for that, I always get the sensor codes. I'll keep a look out for the plugged or clogged doc fault though. Thanks HeavyD!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  11. allan82782

Dec 2, 2012
    va
    Heavyd,
    Im back again I want to know if I should used lucas oil stabilizer with my oil change that Im getting done in a few days. I have a 2008 international prostar cummins isx 435hp with 596,000 miles this would be my second oil with this truck and roughly 15,000 miles since my last oil change in which I used lucas oil. Thanks in advance...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.