2011 Volvo VNL 630 D13 Quiet Ticking that Come and Goes

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SomeRandomGuy, Nov 8, 2018.

1. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2018
    I'm looking at a used 2011 Volvo VNL 630 with a D13 engine for sale by a private party and as best I can tell it has 650,000 miles.

There are a few relatively minor problems that I can see such as the alignment is bad (pulls gently to the right) and the power steering comes and goes, but my big concern is I heard some very quiet ticking sound while driving.

I couldn't pin it down to any specific speed or engine RPM, the ticking sounds equally loud under heavy load (full throttle at low RPM, or little throttle at high RPM), though the test drive was bobtail only.
    The ticking sound would also appear for some random amount of time, then go away for some random amount of time and it seemed inconsistent the length of time it was ticking or not ticking.

It also was certainly a ticking sound like you would expect from a small rock stuck in the tread of a car tire (but it didn't increase in frequency when at higher speed), and not a chatter like if rockers had no oil (though I am not excluding it being a problem with the rockers/cam).
    Oil level was within operating range, and according to the dashboard gauges, at operating pressure.

The ticking was very quiet; a quiet conversation or stereo playing would drown it out, and it either never was ticking while at idle when parked, or I couldn't hear it, because I have no clue where it was coming from.

I tried searching, but no one seems to have a ticking sound that comes and goes, so hopefully someone can help.figure out what the problem is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If its bothering you this much and you don't even own it yet I'd just walk away.

stwik, Working2party, Heavyd and 2 others Thank this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Does it come and go as the compressor is switching on and off?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  5. SomeRandomGuy

Nov 8, 2018
    The sound doesn't bother me, what it could mean is what bothers me. If it's an early symptom of the truck needing a major repair almost immediately, I would care very much, but if it's a minor repair or just something it'll do without damage for years to come, I wouldn't care.

I did think of the air compressor, after the drive, so I was never able to check that out, but I did note that the ticking was not happening while parked with the air compressor on or off.
    I've never heard another air compressor tick like that, so if it is that, is it likely a failing compressor, or just a unique characteristic of that compressor?

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So how does it act like when it is on a dyno and underload?

7. SomeRandomGuy

Nov 8, 2018
    @Ridgeline I don't know yet; I've already sent out an oil sample for analysis as part of the normal buying process, and arranged for it to be brought to a dealer for a dyno run and to look it over/diagnose those problems, but was hoping to be able to check out the problems/make suggestions to avoid excessive diagnostic fees.

8. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    It'll be hard to pin point without hearing it but it sounds like a rock in the tire.

9. SomeRandomGuy

Nov 8, 2018
    @McMahons Trucking I don't disregard the possibility, but I doubt it.Then ticking would come and go, it wasn't persistent, and it didn't appear to tick at a higher frequency when moving faster.
    At 65MPH, I would be surprised if any small rocks weren't flung from the tires as they would be experiencing in excess of 100G acceleration, and the tire would constantly be flexing with each rotation.

10. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Possibly an exhaust leak at manifold or turbo. Look for black soot buildup in those areas.

baha Thanks this.
  11. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    If it doesn’t change in intensity as it comes and goes doesn’t corralate with vehicle or engine speed I would look for a loose nut behind the streering wheel!! Just kidding.
    It does sound like it could be body related. First thought is something around the heater/AC fan. Best thing you could try to confirm that would be to test drive it again with some one else driving. That way you can move about the cab putting pressure on different things to make sure it’s not just some loose trim.

The only other thing thing I can thing of would be a loose A/C clutch turning it on or off when you hear it should reveal if it’s your culprit.

Hope this helps, good luck

SomeRandomGuy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.