2012 cascadia dd15 blown head gasket

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by dztruck, Jul 8, 2017.

1. dztruck

dztruck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Yes there is definitely pressure

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jmans

Jmans Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Check where the reservoir cap and radiator cap is.
    Coolant can also escape from there.
    Could be just a bad cap.
    How many times has it done this?

4. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Its loosing coolant a lot tho, about 1 gallon every 3 days. I hope its not going into the engine, the pressure tests didnt indicate any engine leaks tho. What would i check on the caps?

5. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Also its done this for the last 3 weeks. I paid to get the egr cooler changed because thats what the shop said was causing the loss of coolant.

6. Professional Passenger

Professional Passenger Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Dad's truck
    Information really helps.
    What kind of truck?
    Year? Miles?
    What brand of motor?
    What version of motor?

First of all, quit going to all these unknown shops for a diagnosis. Where are you located?
    If you don't know or have a relationship with someone at the shop, how do you know to trust them?
    Heck, a good portion of the shops I know, I STILL don't trust.

Second, very few shops will even do a proper cooling system pressure test.
    1st I pressurize the system to 20psi and confirm there are no visible external leaks.
    Next, if the unit has shut off valves to the cab and bunk I close them to eliminate internal heater core leaks.
    Once all visible leaks and heater cores have been properly eliminated, I begin the internal leak search.
    I pressurize the system to 20psi OVERNIGHT! Not for an hour or so.
    First thing I check, after the floor of course, is I remove the EGR cooler outlet tube and check the cooler, yes I've seen bad replacements.
    Next I check the doser and the turbo.
    Next I check the intake side.
    Next I check the transmission if it's equiped with a liquid cooler.
    How about your APU? Do you have one? Have you eliminated that?
    If I still can't find the source, I drop the oil pan and inspect the liners.
    If the coolant is coming down the inside of the liner, it's head, head gasket, or injector cups.
    If the coolant is coming down the outside of the liner, it's a liner issue and you're inframing it.
    It's a process of elimination, and it takes time.
    Time that most shops will not invest, I'd suggest doing it yourself or with some help.
    It takes time, but it's not impossible to find, it's immposible to find a tech that cares.

7. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Yeah i for sure know they didnt go thru all that.
    Its a 2012 Cascadia with DD15
    495k miles
    I am located in Las Vegas.
    If you are anywhere near i would love to bring it to you to run all the tests.
    I do have a Malfunction indicator light that gives me the code eec 61 spn 4364, the code is a low Nox conversion. Other than that it is not giving me any issues while driving. Ive been doing 40k+ loads for 4 weeks now in the southwest heat with no issues. Ive looked as best i could but havent taken apart anything for deep inspection. Ive only gone by the pressure test that the shop said. Oddly one diesel mechanic said its "100%" a blown head gasket. The other shop didnt find it and said it was the egr. I will have to start with a list and check everything like you said. Possibly starting with the smallest to the bigges. I have a load booked for the next 3 days and going heavy in the heat, so i am definitely worried.

8. kazungu80

kazungu80 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Good to hear you got the problem solved and it wasn't to high of a bill to get it fixed.keep trucking and be safe .

Tez78malone Thanks this.
  9. Jmans

Jmans Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    You ever try changing that cap?

10. slowhanddrt

slowhanddrt Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2017
    You should e able to replace the head gasket for about 3 to 5 k

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.