2012 isx blowing coolant out the overflow

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by lciambotti1, Jun 25, 2019.

1. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Just purchased this T660 a month ago. Replaced the injectors and tubes due to what I think is a fuel rail chatter. Fully deleted. I think the chatter is my DPF filter or what’s left of it is clogged. So now in the past week, my coolant usage went from a gallon every 3K miles to 3 gallons in 2100 miles to 2 gallons in 200 miles and my driver just called and said he lost 4 gallons in 59 miles. Bought the kit from NAPA To check for the head gasket dropped liner. All came out good. Not building pressure while idling. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    More than likely air compressor

4. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    I had two of these, pretty much same scenario. Head gasket. I redid the gaskets both twice and sold them. Deletes on that model are terrible.

5. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    either air compressor or head gasket.

dropped liner in early stages will only bypass gasket under high load and high cylinder temps

6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    EGR cooler. Take a look at the rear of engine, passenger side, top of transmission with a flashlight. If you see coolant puddled on top of transmission chances are you have EGR cooler failure. This is probably a big ticket repair so you should get it diagnosed properly at a reputable shop.

7. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Depending on how far the delete went his EGR cooler may be blocked off. That year ISX is known for headgasget and liner issues, then with the delete it puts even more pressure on it.

8. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    Yea. The previous owner blew the head gasket and replaced it. Happened a second time and he sold the truck to a shop. The shop owner told me he swapped heads, put liners, pistons and bearings in it, but didn’t deck the block. But at this point, I don’t believe much of what he says. He wouldn’t produce any receipts for the the materials.

9. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Just an educated guess......... cylinder #5 dropped liner. It's always ##%#ing #5!!!LOL!

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  10. lciambotti1

Mar 6, 2015
    Did the block check, fluid changed from blue to green in about 25 seconds.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.