2012 maxxforce 13 boost surging

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by RickieBrent, Oct 12, 2017.

1. RickieBrent

RickieBrent Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2017
    This engine is dpf/egr free now, I have a scan gauge to readout alternative gauges. The truck is surging really bad under any circumstance, loaded/ unloaded. The boost psi is jumping from high 30s, to high 20s. It did this before a half day, but then never again until now and is constant. Is there a common problem I could go straight to and check or just a turbo failure coming? And the surging doesn't seem to start until 9/10 gears, and then it seems like it's the entire rpm range. Any experience with a similar problem or a where to start would be very helpful. I'm new to the diesel world.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    See if the boost pressure shows anything with the key on and engine off. May just be a sensor or wiring.

4. RickieBrent

Oct 12, 2017
    reading 0.1 psi key on/ engine off. The engine itself is surging, not just the gauge, not sure if I got that across right in the original. I can hear the turbo coming in and out if that makes sense, and I hear what i assume the bov (if the heavy trucks have) from time to time while it's surging hard. Similar to like a intake backfire.

5. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I got a question. Since you have done a delete of the EGR/DPF who do you take it to when you break down on the road? No dealer will touch it.:eek:

6. RickieBrent

Oct 12, 2017
    I only do local hauling, and you can still get any parts you need? If it gets to that point I'm sure I could find a maxxforce part out and put a used dpf and ecm back on to sell or whatever.

7. RickieBrent

Oct 12, 2017
    I love the truck itself and the fact that I can get them so cheap, the truck is so nice and without the egr/dpf it is great on power. Hauling sweet potatoes around 85k-90k and still pedal behind most trucks around here.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah, this is the thing, since you have aftermarket ECM and programming, it's hard to point you in the right direction since your problem could actually be software related.

angrytrans Thanks this.
  9. RickieBrent

Oct 12, 2017
    Thanks for replies heavyd, i have read many of your comments since i started on maxxforce accidentally. Much respect to you for helping unknowns on your time off. I assumed this to be a mechanical or common issue or I wouldn't bring it up here as I know the deletes are taboo.

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds like you have some sort of scanner there. If you can watch engine performance parameter values with it, I'll give you a couple of things to watch for. Fluctuating boost could be problems from fuel pressure in either the low or high pressure systems. The factory ECM could monitor fuel delivery pressure for the low pressure system. It needs at least 60 psi, but most are around 90-110 psi. So watch your pressure while at highway speeds under full load.
    The high pressure system has a few things to watch for. The actual Rail fuel pressure, and Rail fuel pressure Desired! The Rail fuel pressure is the high pressure fuel in the common rail and ranges between 7000 psi and 32,000 psi depending on load. Usually at highway speeds under full load it is very close to 32,000 psi. The Rail fuel pressure Desired is what the ECM wants and is trying to command. So with a healthy fuel system, both the actual and desired should mirror each other. If you see desired at 31,000 psi for example, but actual only 23,000 psi, there is a problem. With older units, the high pressure fuel pump starts to get weak and can intermittently lose pressure enough to cause low power. You need to see if you can watch the Fuel Pressure Control Valve percentage. The way it works, the lower the percentage, the higher the actual rail fuel pressure goes. So basically 0% is making the fuel pump work as hard as it can go! Any healthy fuel pump should never go below 20-25%. If it does, this means the pump is working harder than it needs to in order to maintain fuel pressure. (5% is as low as it actually goes, not zero.) So if you see rail fuel pressure no quite meeting desired and your fuel pressure control percentage is below or near 20%, the fuel pump is likely worn out and needs replacement. BUT, if during all this the low pressure fuel delivery is lower than about 60 psi, you have base fuel delivery problem.

AModelCat and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  11. RickieBrent

Oct 12, 2017
    I did not and still don't have a way to check desired/ actual fuel pressure. Yesterday it did finally get worse and put on the check engine light. I can't find info on codes so if anyone here knows where I can or knows the codes it would be greatly appreciated. Snapchat-1770157190.jpg Snapchat-360215173.jpg Snapchat-1621686360.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.