2013 FREIGHTLINER CASCADIA TRAILER AUXILLIARY POWER?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by ast26909, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    I have no 12V power on the center pin at trailer plug, found no power at 30A 'trailer power' fuse and 'trailer power relay' missing at SAM chassis module. Install new relay, I now have power at the 30A fuse but still no power to the center pin. I have verified the trailer cord is good no wire break between the center pin and the other end of the wire where it plugs into the truck wiring harness. There is a break in the circuit from the SAM chassis module to the trailer cord connector, hopefully someone has done this before and can share their experience? I really need a wiring diagram for this circuit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I ran into the same situation on a newer Cascadia. Took 2 days and 2 different Freightliner dealers to diagnose. Here was my problem. The tractor detected an incomplete circuit in the trailer lighting. Bottom line, the tractor shut down power to that pin in order to protect its own circuitry. Not sure this helps or is your problem, but thought it might help.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    ast26909 Thanks this.
  4. Chipperrr

Chipperrr Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2018
    I know this is a real stupid question but have you checked your fuses?

5. Chipperrr

Nov 27, 2018
    I know this would not be a long-term solution but you could always run a hot wire from your battery to the backside of your Center Pig

6. ast26909

Mar 1, 2018
    Can't do that, that's not fixing the problem. The trailer ABS draws power from this circuit, if you do that trailer ABS will be ON all the time running down the tractor batteries.

7. Chipperrr

Nov 27, 2018
    No I would not leave the problem like that either. I would only do that to get to a shop. But that would send power to your trailer so that things would work

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I heard that Cascadias have a type of radio interference line filter that is between the fuse/relay box and the plug-in on the back. They can blow and you would lose power.
    Not sure what they are technically called or where they are.

9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    8683B771-6569-43B6-9389-59DC9443909C.jpeg On the frame rail, under cab near receptacle.

ast26909 Thanks this.
  10. ast26909

Mar 1, 2018
    Well, today I crawl under the truck determined to fix this problem. I spread the wiring looms out and found the 'choke' that uncleal13 mentioned but it seems it has nothing to do with the auxiliary trailer power. I then found the trailer PDM (power distribution module) right on top of the choke, inside are all the fuses and relays for trailer lights and power. I found the 30A fuse for 'trailer ign power' blown, aha I thought this is my problem, replace the fuse still no power to trailer, I jumper the relay then got trailer power. I then tested the relay and relay coil power they are good, so somehow the relay does not turn on. Logically the SAM chassis controls the relay thus supplying power to trailer but how it does this I still don't know because I don't have the appropriate wiring diagram at hands.

Attached Files:

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  11. A gear per tire

A gear per tire Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2019
    If you have an aux box make sure it the cut off switch is to the on position, this may fix your problem. This guy came to our shop with no trailer power for the lights. After half an hour of checking fuses checking relays and following the circuit, i saw that the aux fuse box wasn't getting power. Then checked the switch. Indeed the cut off swith was off. Switched it on, and power was restored to the trailer. Might want to check that.

ast26909 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.