2014 389 Pete comes with no air horns

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Eagerbilt, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Eagerbilt

Eagerbilt Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2017
    So, I’m in the process of signing the papers on purchasing a 2014 389 Pete today. Whoever ordered the truck new decided against air horns.
    Wondering if I decide to install them (or train horns), which is the easiest method?...underneath? Hearing that behind a steer tire or drivers step is fairly straight forward.
    FYI, the braided cord to pull the horn is on the truck (drivers side ceiling), but as far as that goes, not sure if that leads to much being that it was ordered that way from new...don’t have the truck yet either to check this out more thoroughly just yet.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thx.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I thought air horns were mandated equipment by the D.O.T.?

4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    There will be air horns mounted somewhere on the truck. I had mine ordered with out cab horns, because they couldn't do 7 cab lights and 4 horns together, so my dealer mounted a 4 trumpet train horn in front of the battery box.

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You only need one alert device. Either one in working order will pass DOT. I prefer the city one operable to pass.

Intothesunset and spsauerland Thank this.
  6. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    §393.81 Horn.
    Every bus, truck, truck-tractor, and every driven motor vehicle in driveaway-towaway operations shall be equipped with a horn and actuating elements which shall be in such condition as to give an adequate and reliable warning signal.

spsauerland and Goodysnap Thank this.
  7. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    You mean the little electric horn as on a 4 wheeler? Thats what we always called the city horn. I prefer something that is much louder. Braindead need a loud warning.

8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I agree with the brain dead part and the louder the better, but.........

Certain cities dont allow air horns due to noise pollution. So the play it safe for all makes and applications is city or electric horn in working order. I agree they are useless on the noisy interstate.

9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

That's just a typical idiot salesman missing it in the specifications ... It's pathetic what some of the morons put on the lots out there!!

10. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    We order them without roof mounted ones for a smoother look and the fact the train horns are getting mounted anyway. Customers often ask for trucks to be specced this way

spsauerland and Roberts450 Thank this.
  11. jake744

jake744 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    When I ordered my 389 I got it with no air horns cause I wanted 7 roof lights. It was plumbed to fire wall. I mounted a small set of horns under cab and ran line to fire wall.

KB3MMX and Roberts450 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.