2014 and Older MAC J Plates

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by ProfessionalNoticer, Sep 28, 2022.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    A lot of times the pull isn't going to be straight with chains and binders... Pic below happened on a single coil hooking to the plates at the corners....

Do you really haul many loads that would benefit using J-hooks instead of just using the rub rail or hooking underneath if your trailer is equipped with a strap bar? If not then I would just buy all J-plate chains and maybe a couple J-hooks...

20220420_154151.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I've never even used them before but I'm having a conestoga kit installed on one of my trailers so I was thinking they would be a nice addition for the coils I'll be hauling since they should eliminate the weatherstrip hassle under the rub rail. That broken plate and reading about others bending as mentioned above has me rethinking this whole idea though.

Then again, now that I look a little closer it looks like you used a hook plate for a chain application. Is there a difference? The chain plate Tarpstop has in the picture above is thicker and looks to be more robust even though it's has the same WLL.

I'm sure I'm probably missing something here...

4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Thats a reitenour plate, rated to 6700, but used so vertical that its been bent past fatigue a few times too many.

I wouldnt be certain on the thickness unless they actually have a measurement on it

Lets just say that i use mine weekly if not daily for 5 years, and they werent new when i got them, never a failure, doesnt mean it cant or wont happen tmrw, but i dont know that a single failure on one should outweigh the hundreds of stake pocket failures any 2 year flatbedder has seen

Oxbow and ProfessionalNoticer Thank this.
  5. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Good points. Just don't want to have a coil come loose on me one day! So I want to make sure I get the right tools for the job so to speak.

6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Those J-hook plates came with the trailer when I purchased it new. They can be used with both strap hook or chain/binder. The WLL is the same either...

That was the first failure for me...I wouldn't get hung up on the snapping and failing... It's not a common occurrence as folks have stated above... They definitely take a beating though...

That coil had 3 chains split with 6 binders so wasn't going anywhere anyhow...

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  7. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Ten4. Now you guys have me feeling a little better about the plates again!

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    The bigger pita can be the chain coming unhooked while chaining down. With the thinner plates some guys were able to fish the chain through the hole and then hook onto the plate itself. I found the plates with the smaller holes seemed to keep the chain in place better until you actually tightened it up with a binder. One of my trailers had the chains permanently attached to the plates. It worked ok but was a bit of a hassle storing your chains neatly. It sounds like a little thing but when you're tired and have had a rough day and that p.o.s. chain comes unhooked it can push you over the edge lol

9. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Understood! I was initially thinking about getting the style that does hooks and chains because I thought maybe I'd use them for straps periodically but maybe the style specifically for chains may be enough.

10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Get 4 with flathook capability, i very rarely use hooks on the plate, but occasionally theyll just make your life so much easier

beastr123 and ProfessionalNoticer Thank this.
  11. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Plates would be great with a conestoga. We dont have them and fishing chains and chain straps down thru the rubber at the bottom of the rub rail is a huge PITA.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.