2014 Cascadia Evo. Radio goes off and on..

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Auctioneer, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Light Load Member

May 7, 2010
    Trenton, NC
    I have a 2014 Cascadia w DD 15 Eng. and DT12 trans. The radio will go off (sometimes for just a moment, sometimes for 2 months) then start working again. I have checked all fuses = good. I have checked the connector on the back of the radio and found that when the unit is working there are 3 pins with power to them. When it is not working there is only 1 pin with power to it. There does not seem to be anything wrong with the radio, just the loss of power on the 2 pins.
    It is also noteworthy that when the radio quits the utility lights on the back of the cab will not work. When the radio comes back on, the utility lights will work.
    Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Phillip

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Maybe a cold solder in the radio it self. check for power at the back of the radio when it out. Also might be losing the ground. Cleaning up factor grounds in Freightliners has been standard stuff for many years.

4. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Obviously the radio and cab lights are related somehow, I just don't see how. A shot in the dark is a low voltage disconnect issue. They start shutting down non essential things when voltage drops. Starting with radio and non needed lights and progressively more and more stuff gets shut off if voltage drops. I cannot remember if that was in the Cab SAM perimeters or not, but I think it is. You'd need ServiceLink to check that out. It's possible that the SAM is getting a bad connection and falsely seeing low voltage.

You can check the basics, battery terms all clean and tight, the Cabin SAM is behind the glove box and they had a history of leaks getting them wet. Check the connections on that and look for signs of moisture/corrosion in the plugs.

Just a guess though, I really have no clue.

Cummimgs Trucking LLC Thanks this.
  5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Light Load Member

May 7, 2010
    Trenton, NC
    Thanks for your info. I have checked the power input to the radio and there are 3 terminals on the radio connector that must have power for the radio to work. when the radio stops working only one (the Battery terminal) has power. The "other" two are not powered. I have been able to "wiggle" wires on behind the glove box at the far right side of the fuse panel and cause the radio to go off, problem is I can't get it back on any more. I do know that it is NOT a low voltage cut off because the problem occurs while driving wit 14.+ volts and when parked with 13. + volts.

I am scheduled to take the truck into a Freightliner Dealership on the 16th of this month, there are other issues as well.

As a side note, the utility lights are now working and seem to have no connection to the Radio problem, go figure.......

Thanks Again

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  6. shim2000

shim2000 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I have 2015, the radio will shut off and turn back on only happens while driving, did you find out what the cause was on your truck??

7. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Bad connection on the feed,, time to break out the meter/test light and chase the problem.

Or, use a tone generator (when you have the issue), this is easy and non destructive..

The Stealer will charge big $$$ to chase the issue..

.... Philip

8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I also have a 2015 Cascadia & the radio will intermittently go off for about 1 or 2 seconds, the "WELCOME" will scroll across the face & it will come right back on. Its never off for more than a second or so, before it re-powers & comes back on. Sometimes it may do it 4 or 5 times in one day & it may not happen again for a week or so. I have no clue. I am hoping someone will find the solution though.

It doesn't reset the "presets" or loose it's channel setting, clock setting or anything else. It just goes off & right back on.

Mine doesn't only do it while driving though. I can be sitting at a shipper/receiver with the engine off & it still does it. So, its not like I am hitting a bump in the road or vibration or something like that, that causes a disconnect from a loose or bad connection etc. It does it intermittently with no rhyme or reason.

I've had the truck since June 2014 & its always done it.

9. shim2000

shim2000 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2013
    with that being said I wonder if it's overheating or maybe a bad radio.......

10. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

There are 3 power feed for the radio

1. Main power (switched)
    2. Memory/clock (fused/unswitched), and
    3. lights.

You can lose main power without losing the others, check for a bad power feed connection...

... Philip

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Grumppy Thanks this.
  11. shim2000

shim2000 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2013
    In a car if you disconnect the main power source to the radio everything is lost including presets and the clock, I know this from installing aftermarket radios

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.