2014 international box truck I want to scrap or something

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by brokenbyinternational, Dec 7, 2023.

1. brokenbyinternational

brokenbyinternational Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2023
    I have an international 4300 box truck that I have sunk nearly $40k into with purchase and repairs I have had it for sale for 6 mo and had no takers. I now live out of state, so the dealership was going to take it to Richie brothers for me only now it wont start so I am just done with this boondoggle and I want to scrap it but where and how.

So, the long story is we were moving out of state from Washington state to Tennessee. I hold a class A CDL and had worked for a city government driving dumps and tankers. Anyway, the high price of moving led us to decide to buy a box truck and move ourselves and then either sell it or start a business at our final location. Well, I bought the truck off Craigslist, which was advertised as turn-key. I drove it, and all seemed well, except it would clunk when shifting. Knowing this and a blue book around $50k, I offered $15k with the expectation that it needed a tranny. Well, it did, and that cost $12k, and I replaced the driver seat for another $1k. All was good for a month or so, then the brakes had issues, and that was $7k, and then the alternator and pulleys and whatnot was another $6k. The time came to leave, and it would not go over 30mph. It turns out the engine, a maxxforce was part of a recall that had expired, and the cold side turbo was clogged it would be $10k to fix, and I didn't have the money as I had been nickeled and dimed to death so I took it to a consignment shop where it sat for 6 months, and then they wanted it gone, but by this time I am living in Tennessee I contact Richie Bros, and they tell me they will move it down for an upcoming auction, they don't, and they start dodging my calls the dealership offers to take it to the next auction for me, and they go to take it, and it won't start. Not being there, they want me to call mobile service to have it repaired, and mobile service wants $1k just to come out. But I am broke now, mainly due to this truck. and I don't want to spend it as that $1k is before repairs. So I guess my only option is to scrap it. Only don't know how, and RB has my title now. So, any leads or ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buckmanmike

buckmanmike Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2010
    in the country, georgia
    If RB has the title, you have no ownership. It's theirs. You get nothing. They decide what to do with the truck.

4. buckmanmike

buckmanmike Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2010
    in the country, georgia
    If RB has a lein on the title, then things will be different. Is the lein more than salvage value?

5. brokenbyinternational

brokenbyinternational Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2023
    Sorry for the confusion. I own it free and clear, they only have the title because I sent it to them for the auction, and they never picked up the truck.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    who are you calling, the local rep, the auction site or the HQ?

I would be on the phone with their HQ to solve the issue.

Why didn't it start?

Did the dealer figure it out? Sounds like they dropped the ball.

Oh and expired recalls, the dealer can get it done and paid for.

7. circle h

circle h Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Ritchie brothers are a pretty great organization. Assuming you are on the west side of Washington, call their Chehalis office and see if they will tow it to their lot and take the tow bill from the proceeds. If you are on the east side call and get in touch with Spokane. Also ask them if they could look at it and try get it started once it's on-site. I have sent equipment down there and never been disappointed. They get a percentage of what it sells for, so they would like it to sell well.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.