2015 Cascadia OTR Performance

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by Aminal, Nov 8, 2014.

1. JackTheWhack

JackTheWhack Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Eagle River,Wisc
    I have seen the Red Pepper trucks for Nussbaum as well...the only thing missing is the dingle balls...fuzzy dice & the curb feelers !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JackTheWhack

Oct 31, 2012
    Eagle River,Wisc
    Hello again...Aminal & Crankster and the rest,

Thought I'd chime in again...Glad to see everyone liked my post...
    Just an update regarding my new found buddy "Art"...I stopped in about two weeks ago to see him and was informed he passed away of cancer. Ruined my whole week ! Its not too often in life when you meet somebody in your travels that you let your guard down long enough to make a friend...that you really can say" Man...this guy is truly... a genuine nice guy" God Bless you Art ! FYI...On my truck...I put on the rear of the cab..." Let Bernice drive the F___n Truck"...I know Art's laughing his ### off ! I had a guy ask me yesterday in MT.....Who's Bernice...You're Wife ? I Just smiled and thought...thanks Art !

Anyway...Crankster...I live in NW Wisconsin now...Born in NYC...lived in CT for 35 yrs. I remember when the Pats used the state of CT to leverage a new stadium in Foxboro, I'm pretty sure that's what put the past Govenor (John Rowland) in jail...among other things too. I'm a NY'er all the way...huge NYY fan....I hope I live long enough to see the Bronx bombers rebound again. GS turns over in his grave weekly.
    Don't know if you read the news but...They just finished removing the "Cheese Turd"...ooops....I meanT "Curd" ....that the Packers laid in the middle of the field in Seattle. OMG...I loved it ! I cant stand the Green & Gold...Bears should start kickin some cheese ###...I mean cheese heads this coming year. Sharon Rogers & Fabio and the rest of the packer nation is on the way down.
    I heard this one too..."Who's the only person...other than Billy Graham that can make 500,000 people all stand up at once and yell "Jesus Christ"......................Mike McCarthy !

OK...Sooooooooooooooo,

I know most everyone is a well seasoned driver on here...just ask'em...Ha Ha ! But anyway...I always like to share tips & tricks with other drivers...especially when I think they're not FOS !

Among all of the gear jammers...is the up and coming Auto-shift bunch...A whole new way of OTR driving.

I had a guy tell me the other day..."Yeah...I used to drive a beginner truck just like you gotz there...How long ya been drivin..? I said " I'm still learning every day....what day is it ?" He said "Huh....Its Thursday" I said..."Last Tuesday" then I jumped in and backed up out of the fuel island ..hooked a U-turn backwards.to my left around 3 trucks waiting...backed thru the same island 4 lanes down... backwards...hooked it backwards to my left again...3 more lanes down and onto the Cat scale right on the scale dead center....Then ran into the same guy inside the pilot...He said " Tuesday...my ###" I said " I saw a truck just like yours out in the museum at Iowa-80...same year too ! Ignorance is alive and doing well out on the road.

A few of my tips & tricks...

I drive in my socks...you need the touch. While going down a hill in CC...you need to disengage it slightly to let it go without letting it grab you into 11th, and still keep the tack at 6000. I used to see guys with there foot up on the dash on the left side of the wheel just lounging down the road. Now that's me...

I use a product on my windshield that my neighbor in CT told me about,He's a pilot and told me "Ya ever see windshield wipers on a plane...Dahhh"....Here try this on your truck.
    Aquapel....This stuff is amazing...its a pure silicone concoction that's used in the aircraft industry. its an application that's applied to a really clean windshield that makes the rain just bead right off...kind of like rain-X...only a 100 X better. my wipers slide & clean better to when its a complete downpour. If you Google it...should run you $5-7 for each application. It last about 3-4 months I usually do the drivers side 3-4 times a year and the passenger side twice.

I have bunch more to share with you guys...but outta time.

I'll start posting more here...working on a developing a podcast soon...you guys can be my first interviews, I lost track of time gotta roll at 1:00am tonight

Post again soon...Drive safe !

Aminal and Magdragonslayer Thank this.
  4. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Whack (O?) :biggrin_25525: I enjoyed the post. I like your writing style. You ever get that Podcast goin', gimme a shout. If I can figure out the technology, I'll be glad to participate. I think a good sense of humor is vital for any shot at longevity in this industry. I am very sorry to hear about your friend. I absolutely get where you're coming from in being guarded and when you do take the risk and it turns out well for you; you cherish that friendship. I have one true friend I made out here and we are like brothers from other mothers. I can't imagine how I'd feel if he passed. I am truly sorry for your loss.

On a lighter note, Darla and I have synched up on hill slides and maximizing time in E-Coast. Keep in mind, she has the whole Detroit package. DD15, DT12 and Detroit 3:07 rears with a ton of sensors, built in GPS and terrain maps in the ECM. What's that legal disclaimer? "Your results may vary with your particular configuration." So, I'm talking strictly about Darla's config and how WE have learned to get along.

I keep the cruise set on 1225 RPM, which is about 60 MPH, 'cause that is HER sweet spot for MPG. I crest the hill and assess it. If it looks like she'll drop slower than 65 MPH, I leave her alone and let Darla drive the truck. If it looks like she'll build up to faster than 65 MPH then I cancel cruise and let her fall with my foot off the throttle entirely. She slides into E-Coast at 63 and stays there until she hits 72, and then she slips into 12 if she's still building up steam and stays there til I either hit RESUME or brake or add foot throttle. If I brake or slip on the Jakes, THEN she downshifts to whatever. If I don't touch the brake, Jake or throttle, she just E-Coasts at 600 RPM til she's at 72 MPH (road speed is set at 68 MPH), then slides into 12 but doesn't downshift at all unless I mess with her. She just free falls in 12th, like a standard does when it's in gear. I prolly shouldn't say this, but I've let her go on into the mid-80's doing that (conditions favored, straight, traffic etc, and I was looking at a big straight climb after the bottom and I wanted as much momentum as I could get to get as far up it as I could on inertia) and she stayed right there in 12.

We actually E-Coasted for almost NINE miles on I-20 westbound in TX, just east of the 10/20 split last week, cause I killed cruise at the right time, kept my foot on the floorboard and let her roll and she didn't get quite up to 72. "Floated" at 600 RPM between 63 and 71 MPH for nine miles. I KNEW there was a trick to my Autobot. I got to thinking. She's a "push button" truck. The trick must be in how and when to push her buttons. Turns out it was. RESUME, CANCEL, RESUME, CANCEL. Turning cruise OFF didn't do the trick. She did like she does and downshifted and I'd have to add foot throttle and keep a little on it to keep her in 12. But leaving the cruise ON, but hitting CANCEL did the trick on keeping her in E-Coast until she got a hair over her set road speed max. Then she just stayed in 12. As did tapping the brake to cancel cruise, but that killed a tad of momentum. The key to keep her from downshifting and staying in E-Coast for her max time was leaving the cruise ON, canceling it and pushing buttons. Set at 60 MPH, if I hit RESUME at 62, the time lag on engaging is just right for her to engage and maintain, right at 60. If I hit it too late, she engages below 60 and has to add power to get TO 60 before maintaining. If I hit it too early, she slips into gear too early and I loose some E-Coast time, but still get fall time in 12th gear. Good for MPG, but not as good as E-Coast.

So, me and Darla been playin' big boy version of a video game. "OK . . . wait . . . NOW - Cancel." Shlick, E-Coast. "OK, . . . . wait . . . just . . . a . . . little . . . NOW-Resume." Click - hover. Or "Danged, missed that one by 3 MPH". Silly, but harmless and face it. It's the desert southwest. Not a lot else goin' on and if I hear any more of Ken Rutherford's prattling on about his "end all" app and website that don't tell me what I really need to know that my Excel workbook already tells me, on Road Dog on Sirius - I'm gonna choke the life right outta that little dog symbol on the radio. I look at MPG as an indicator of how Darla and I are performing together for fuel efficiency. Real time. Today. Not based on a month's worth of data. Excel can do THAT just fine for looking at fuel cost and my business performance in that area, as IT factors in purchasing strategy. COST IS COST: MPG IS MACHINE AND HUMAN PERFORMANCE.

Am I doing the things I need to do to drive fuel efficient? Are Darla's systems all functioning clean and green? Is it time for an overhead or filter change or change in MY driving? Dude's an accountant and his apps and site looks at and measures MPG via Fuel Expense. MPG certainly DOES effect Fuel Expense, but you can't get a timely read on the human and machine interface and integration and performance for fuel efficiency as far as MPG measuring it in his apps and snaps. The input data for the calculations are based on fuel pump info and your odometer. How much did you put in the tank and what was the odometer reading? Based on your last input that = X MPG. Really? How about the fuel the APU burned? It came outta the same tank as the fuel going to Darla's injectors. How does the fuel pump know how many gallons you pumped went to the injectors on the truck engine and how many went into the injectors on the APU engine? I respectfully submit - IT DOESN'T! Your TRUCK knows how many gallons went into the truck engine injectors, though. How many gallons are you off because of the way you filled the tank? I mean if you just leave the nozzle in and stop when it first clicks off; you still have 10 gallons or so of headspace in the tank. Who puts the nozzle back on at first click when topping off? Nobody. You grab the handle and move it and finish filling the tank. Can you do THAT in a manner consistent enough to be accurate for MPG based on how many gallons you pumped and your odometer readings between filling? Again, and how many of those replacement gallons went to the APU last night or two? Car, pick up or SUV? Yes. The tanks are small enough so the difference wont matter in calculations. Two 100 gallon tanks configured how they are on a big truck? Big difference.

You wanna know your true MPG for looking at the machine and human performance for fuel efficiency in real time? Use the data that comes from how much fuel was sent through the injectors of the truck engine for a particular set of miles. THAT is what SensorTracs and your dash reading measure, and they DO measure it accurately for the particular trip set. For the last X miles (whatever that trip setting is) X amount of fuel was sent through your truck engine injectors as the MPG for that period is X. SensorTracs ALSO tells you what percent of the time you are idling for that trip, going over speed for that trip and, staying in cruise and in top gear for that trip. Um, refresh my memory, but; what are the main factors in MPG? Do you need to make any changes there? If so, you know what you can do right NOW and not wait until the next fueling to go: "Something's off somewhere". Same reason I fired ATBS. Lag time and they didn't do anything for me I wasn't already doing myself and more REAL TIME.

Face it folks, being an Independent is a lot more work. You have to track and monitor and adjust CONSTANTLY to the constantly changing dynamics in every run. IF you want to keep as much of that hard earned money as you can in your OWN pocket. I'm not payin' ATBS to tell me what happened last month or Kenny Boy to tell me what happened last week what I already know NOW and can change or suck up 'cause I can't change it; NOW. If you have the discipline to enter the data into an App or website, or send all the appropriate stuff to ATBS - you have the discipline to do it yourself and stay on top, informed and AHEAD of the curve THEY are telling you, you got behind on . . . LAST week or month. And how much are you paying them to tell you what you should already know from the information right there on your dash, Qualcomm and settlement? Maybe worth it to some, but not me. They be gougin' into my beer party on hometime fund for their mess and I ain't gettin' no return on that investment.

The return on my investment in the bond fire and brew fest at home is . . . intangible.

Have a good one Y'all.

Boy-oh-boy, are the Ken Rutherford followers gonna slam me. Dude has like a CULT following. If Ken Rutherford said it, it MUST be true. Well, slam on folks. I can take it. I won't be mean, but perhaps a little spirited in my debate. Let's just keep it clean and above the belt. It just burns my chaps when I see folks playing on independents and rusing them into us paying folks more than we should for stuff. We get the fid at every turn just cause they got us over a barrel. I hate it worse, though, when I see folks doin' the same nasty everyone else does to us but trying to put honey in my ear and make me think they are on MY side and doing it for ME. Yeah. So we got a "nice" rapist? Oh boy.

Really time to go now. Bye-BYE!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

JCT has long been one of my favorite companies. I know why.

But darn it, I'm a stick-shift kind of guy with a bum left knee trying to imagine what having an automated transmission is like. Shift? Don't shift? Coast, range, focus. That's why I love Aminal's particular forum. He started like me and now has the sound of an Expert.

Me LIKEY!

Aminal Thanks this.
  6. DenaliDad

Not to worry. There are cult-followers of Pepsi/Coke, Chevy/Ford, KW/Freightliner, Fox News/MSNBC, guns/no guns, and pretty much everything else. Kevin Rutherford is a successful businessman who knows how to increase the value of his brand, but his words are as fallible as anyone else's.

7. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Thanks DD. No worries on an Autobot, as far as learning. It turned out that learning it has been pretty much the same as learning all the ins, outs and whens of a standard was. Just been an awful long time since then, so my learning curve in general has flattened out a bit. LOL. After a while and playing with it a lot; your ears and knowing the truck get to be the main tools. If one be a true driver, it hits a point in data overload that the data doesn't fuss with the feeling and it "just clicks". You wide eye all the brain input stuff just like you did learning to float the gears in a standard. Then one day it just "clicks" and you totally got when and how to apply this and that to get the Mule to do exactly what you want it to do, when you want it to do it. As afar as the bum knee; if it's your left one - you'll LOVE an Autobot. ESPECIALLY in traffic!! That was really my first big smile with Darla. OKC rush hour and big grin there.

8. DenaliDad

Yeah, well. OKC rush hour and Chicago rush hour aren't the same...and I know both very well, having worked in OKC for 7 years and driving Chicagoland more than I care to. It's the 4-hour 'sprint' across Chicagoland during that slow time that did my knee in, I think. Heck, I remember once (only once?!?) stopping under the toll plaza electronic array for 5 minutes or so, wondering how many times my company was being charged for the trip...

My left knee 'knee-ds' relief!

9. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

OMG, as the kids say. Too funny. I used to wonder the same thing when the Windy made the change and first starting accepting EZ-Pass. I had the EZ-Pass and the I-Pass both Velcroe'd to the windshield cause some lanes took the EZ and/or the I but some only took the I. I used to wonder if the company was getting double-dipped for the toll when I went by an EZ pick-up w/ my I-tag still on the windshield.

"I wonder if Werner just paid two tolls? Ah, it's Werner. Screw it. They got the money and if it was a problem I guarantee we'd get a message on it threatening us with various and sundry manners of floggings if they're getting double dinged." Sure enough, a month or so later; on the new fangled, dangled QUAILcomm:

"It is imperative all drivers ONLY put the I-Pass up when going through toll lanes in the Chicago, IL area (had to make sure we all knew it was Chicago IL they were talking about) that do NOT say EZ-Pass. If you have both up, the company will be dunned (we didn't know what State Chicago was in - but apparently everyone knew what dunned meant) twice for the appropriate toll. If this happens, you may expect to have the additional toll deducted from your weekly paycheck." That's what I figured!!!
    LOL.

I remember laughing at "IMPERATIVE" too; cause you KNOW that if you fail in an "imperative" in trucking. The universe implodes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  10. JackTheWhack

Oct 31, 2012
    Eagle River,Wisc
    Hello Aminal,

Man...You got it dialed in. Good thing... because its hard as hell and quite time consuming to try to put it into words how to operate an auto-shift...In detail...I meant.
    I've listend to KR's podcasts...what an ego that guy has...OMG.
    I've had my truck for about 16 months now and have got it pretty much dialed in same as you. However...I'm being pulled out of mine come April 1st. She's all broke in and all set to give to a yougin to abuse the heck outta her. I'm getting a 2015 KW T-680 Automatic to try out and break in. Woohoo...back to 6MPG..."There goes my fuel bonus"...I think that would make a good Country & Western song too. Talk soon...QUOTE=Aminal;4462364]Whack (O?) :biggrin_25525: I enjoyed the post. I like your writing style. You ever get that Podcast goin', gimme a shout. If I can figure out the technology, I'll be glad to participate. I think a good sense of humor is vital for any shot at longevity in this industry. I am very sorry to hear about your friend. I absolutely get where you're coming from in being guarded and when you do take the risk and it turns out well for you; you cherish that friendship. I have one true friend I made out here and we are like brothers from other mothers. I can't imagine how I'd feel if he passed. I am truly sorry for your loss.

On a lighter note, Darla and I have synched up on hill slides and maximizing time in E-Coast. Keep in mind, she has the whole Detroit package. DD15, DT12 and Detroit 3:07 rears with a ton of sensors, built in GPS and terrain maps in the ECM. What's that legal disclaimer? "Your results may vary with your particular configuration." So, I'm talking strictly about Darla's config and how WE have learned to get along.

I keep the cruise set on 1225 RPM, which is about 60 MPH, 'cause that is HER sweet spot for MPG. I crest the hill and assess it. If it looks like she'll drop slower than 65 MPH, I leave her alone and let Darla drive the truck. If it looks like she'll build up to faster than 65 MPH then I cancel cruise and let her fall with my foot off the throttle entirely. She slides into E-Coast at 63 and stays there until she hits 72, and then she slips into 12 if she's still building up steam and stays there til I either hit RESUME or brake or add foot throttle. If I brake or slip on the Jakes, THEN she downshifts to whatever. If I don't touch the brake, Jake or throttle, she just E-Coasts at 600 RPM til she's at 72 MPH (road speed is set at 68 MPH), then slides into 12 but doesn't downshift at all unless I mess with her. She just free falls in 12th, like a standard does when it's in gear. I prolly shouldn't say this, but I've let her go on into the mid-80's doing that (conditions favored, straight, traffic etc, and I was looking at a big straight climb after the bottom and I wanted as much momentum as I could get to get as far up it as I could on inertia) and she stayed right there in 12.

We actually E-Coasted for almost NINE miles on I-20 westbound in TX, just east of the 10/20 split last week, cause I killed cruise at the right time, kept my foot on the floorboard and let her roll and she didn't get quite up to 72. "Floated" at 600 RPM between 63 and 71 MPH for nine miles. I KNEW there was a trick to my Autobot. I got to thinking. She's a "push button" truck. The trick must be in how and when to push her buttons. Turns out it was. RESUME, CANCEL, RESUME, CANCEL. Turning cruise OFF didn't do the trick. She did like she does and downshifted and I'd have to add foot throttle and keep a little on it to keep her in 12. But leaving the cruise ON, but hitting CANCEL did the trick on keeping her in E-Coast until she got a hair over her set road speed max. Then she just stayed in 12. As did tapping the brake to cancel cruise, but that killed a tad of momentum. The key to keep her from downshifting and staying in E-Coast for her max time was leaving the cruise ON, canceling it and pushing buttons. Set at 60 MPH, if I hit RESUME at 62, the time lag on engaging is just right for her to engage and maintain, right at 60. If I hit it too late, she engages below 60 and has to add power to get TO 60 before maintaining. If I hit it too early, she slips into gear too early and I loose some E-Coast time, but still get fall time in 12th gear. Good for MPG, but not as good as E-Coast.

So, me and Darla been playin' big boy version of a video game. "OK . . . wait . . . NOW - Cancel." Shlick, E-Coast. "OK, . . . . wait . . . just . . . a . . . little . . . NOW-Resume." Click - hover. Or "Danged, missed that one by 3 MPH". Silly, but harmless and face it. It's the desert southwest. Not a lot else goin' on and if I hear any more of Ken Rutherford's prattling on about his "end all" app and website that don't tell me what I really need to know that my Excel workbook already tells me, on Road Dog on Sirius - I'm gonna choke the life right outta that little dog symbol on the radio. I look at MPG as an indicator of how Darla and I are performing together for fuel efficiency. Real time. Today. Not based on a month's worth of data. Excel can do THAT just fine for looking at fuel cost and my business performance in that area, as IT factors in purchasing strategy. COST IS COST: MPG IS MACHINE AND HUMAN PERFORMANCE.

Am I doing the things I need to do to drive fuel efficient? Are Darla's systems all functioning clean and green? Is it time for an overhead or filter change or change in MY driving? Dude's an accountant and his apps and site looks at and measures MPG via Fuel Expense. MPG certainly DOES effect Fuel Expense, but you can't get a timely read on the human and machine interface and integration and performance for fuel efficiency as far as MPG measuring it in his apps and snaps. The input data for the calculations are based on fuel pump info and your odometer. How much did you put in the tank and what was the odometer reading? Based on your last input that = X MPG. Really? How about the fuel the APU burned? It came outta the same tank as the fuel going to Darla's injectors. How does the fuel pump know how many gallons you pumped went to the injectors on the truck engine and how many went into the injectors on the APU engine? I respectfully submit - IT DOESN'T! Your TRUCK knows how many gallons went into the truck engine injectors, though. How many gallons are you off because of the way you filled the tank? I mean if you just leave the nozzle in and stop when it first clicks off; you still have 10 gallons or so of headspace in the tank. Who puts the nozzle back on at first click when topping off? Nobody. You grab the handle and move it and finish filling the tank. Can you do THAT in a manner consistent enough to be accurate for MPG based on how many gallons you pumped and your odometer readings between filling? Again, and how many of those replacement gallons went to the APU last night or two? Car, pick up or SUV? Yes. The tanks are small enough so the difference wont matter in calculations. Two 100 gallon tanks configured how they are on a big truck? Big difference.

You wanna know your true MPG for looking at the machine and human performance for fuel efficiency in real time? Use the data that comes from how much fuel was sent through the injectors of the truck engine for a particular set of miles. THAT is what SensorTracs and your dash reading measure, and they DO measure it accurately for the particular trip set. For the last X miles (whatever that trip setting is) X amount of fuel was sent through your truck engine injectors as the MPG for that period is X. SensorTracs ALSO tells you what percent of the time you are idling for that trip, going over speed for that trip and, staying in cruise and in top gear for that trip. Um, refresh my memory, but; what are the main factors in MPG? Do you need to make any changes there? If so, you know what you can do right NOW and not wait until the next fueling to go: "Something's off somewhere". Same reason I fired ATBS. Lag time and they didn't do anything for me I wasn't already doing myself and more REAL TIME.

Face it folks, being an Independent is a lot more work. You have to track and monitor and adjust CONSTANTLY to the constantly changing dynamics in every run. IF you want to keep as much of that hard earned money as you can in your OWN pocket. I'm not payin' ATBS to tell me what happened last month or Kenny Boy to tell me what happened last week what I already know NOW and can change or suck up 'cause I can't change it; NOW. If you have the discipline to enter the data into an App or website, or send all the appropriate stuff to ATBS - you have the discipline to do it yourself and stay on top, informed and AHEAD of the curve THEY are telling you, you got behind on . . . LAST week or month. And how much are you paying them to tell you what you should already know from the information right there on your dash, Qualcomm and settlement? Maybe worth it to some, but not me. They be gougin' into my beer party on hometime fund for their mess and I ain't gettin' no return on that investment.

The return on my investment in the bond fire and brew fest at home is . . . intangible.

Have a good one Y'all.

Boy-oh-boy, are the Ken Rutherford followers gonna slam me. Dude has like a CULT following. If Ken Rutherford said it, it MUST be true. Well, slam on folks. I can take it. I won't be mean, but perhaps a little spirited in my debate. Let's just keep it clean and above the belt. It just burns my chaps when I see folks playing on independents and rusing them into us paying folks more than we should for stuff. We get the fid at every turn just cause they got us over a barrel. I hate it worse, though, when I see folks doin' the same nasty everyone else does to us but trying to put honey in my ear and make me think they are on MY side and doing it for ME. Yeah. So we got a "nice" rapist? Oh boy.

Really time to go now. Bye-BYE![/QUOTE]

11. JackTheWhack

Oct 31, 2012
    Eagle River,Wisc
    Ooops ...Did something screwy with that last post

BTW....We should get Freightliner to make some T-shirts with their logo & "E-coast" on'em...

Aminal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.