2015 Freightliner cascadia antifreeze smell

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Keepontrucking2016, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Keepontrucking2016

Keepontrucking2016 Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2016
    As I was checking my dd15 for any leaks I noticed there was two small hoses by the EGR and heater core they where leaking small amount of coolent so I bought new clamps and replaced it but before I replaced it I forgot to release pressure from reservoir so when I took the hose off but one gallon of antifreeze blown out all over the AC unit the firewall basically everywhere so I added about 1.5 gallon of antifreeze it smelled for a while outside the engine compartment then the smell went away no leak no antifreeze loss but what I noticed is when I turn heater on I get antifreeze smell for a while then goes away from the vents and wen I turn off the heat and turn it back on smell comes back what can this be no leaks from heater core if there would be leak from heater core I would smell all the time

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Try washing the area of your spillage with soap and water if the leak no longer exists. Either your smelling residual coolant from the spill or you still have a leak somewhere.

4. Keepontrucking2016

Keepontrucking2016 Light Load Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Ok I'll try that and see if the smell goes away I'll post back

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Just use a garden hose over the engine area where you spilled, it will be fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.